From: Jim Pazarena on
is there a CLI command (or commands) which can update
the kernel, similar to apt-get ?

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:53:11 -0500 (EST), Jim Pazarena wrote:

> is there a CLI command (or commands) which can update
> the kernel, similar to apt-get ?

I'm not sure what you're asking. The kernel is just another package, as far
as the package management system is concerned. It is updated the same way
all packages are:

aptitude update
aptitude full-ugrade

This of course assumes that you have internet and security sources defined
in /etc/apt/sources.list. (And, for the stable release, the volatile
source as well.)

Stephen Powell put forth on 2/14/2010 8:50 PM:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:53:11 -0500 (EST), Jim Pazarena wrote:
>>
>> is there a CLI command (or commands) which can update
>> the kernel, similar to apt-get ?
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking. The kernel is just another package, as far
> as the package management system is concerned. It is updated the same way
> all packages are:
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude full-ugrade
>
> This of course assumes that you have internet and security sources defined
> in /etc/apt/sources.list. (And, for the stable release, the volatile
> source as well.)

It also assumes, I believe, that you're running a stock kernel. If you're
running a custom kernel compiled from source, I don't believe aptitude upgrades
will replace your kernel. They've never replaced my kernels anyway, including
distribution upgrades.

--
Stan

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 00:42:51 -0500 (EST), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Stephen Powell put forth on 2/14/2010 8:50 PM:
>> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:53:11 -0500 (EST), Jim Pazarena wrote:
>>>
>>> is there a CLI command (or commands) which can update
>>> the kernel, similar to apt-get ?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you're asking. The kernel is just another package, as far
>> as the package management system is concerned. It is updated the same way
>> all packages are:
>>
>> aptitude update
>> aptitude full-ugrade
>>
>> This of course assumes that you have internet and security sources defined
>> in /etc/apt/sources.list. (And, for the stable release, the volatile
>> source as well.)
>
> It also assumes, I believe, that you're running a stock kernel. If you're
> running a custom kernel compiled from source, I don't believe aptitude upgrades
> will replace your kernel. They've never replaced my kernels anyway, including
> distribution upgrades.

The

aptitude update
aptitude full-upgrade

sequence does not replace a binary kernel directly, no. But it will download
the new kernel source package. For example, on a Lenny system, if you earlier
did an

aptitude install linux-source-2.6.26

and then compiled a custom kernel from that source, then later a security
update was made to the kernel, the above sequence of two aptitude commands
will cause a new .deb package for linux-source-2.6.26 to be downloaded to
/var/cache/apt/archives and the package will be "installed" in the sense that
a new tarball will be unpacked from the package file by the name of
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.26.tar.bz2.

It is up to you to take over from there. You have to notice that a new kernel
source package was downloaded and do something about it.

Of course, if you obtained your kernel source code in the first place from a
non-Debian source, then the package management system knows nothing about it.
You are totally on your own in this case.

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 07:14:12 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
> The
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude full-upgrade
>
> sequence does not replace a binary kernel directly, no.

I should clarify that point, lest someone quote me out of context.
It *will* replace a binary *stock* kernel directly. It *will not*
replace a binary *custom* kernel directly, *unless* you gave it a
name that exactly matches a stock kernel package name and a version
that is less than the new version to be downloaded. That is not
usually done, but if you do it it is possible for the above sequence
of commands to replace a custom kernel with a stock kernel,
which is probably not what you want. You should either change the
package name slightly, which I recommend for a number of reasons,
including keeping a good backout around, or give it a version number
that will always compare high with whatever gets downloaded.