From: Ron Johnson on
On 05/03/2010 08:04 PM, Sam Leon wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 05/02/2010 03:24 PM, Alexander Samad wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> My system used to become close to unusable on the 1st sunday of the
>>> month when
>>> mdadm did it resync,
>>
>> That sounds... wrong, on a jillion levels.
>>

> I would rather the array fail on a monthly resync than have it fail on a
> resync after replacing a drive and loose everything.

Arrays shouldn't fall out of sync, so a "monthly resync" *is* wrong
on a jillion levels.

Fortunately, as Martin Krafft pointed out, it's really a monthly
self-test, and -- to a Large Systems DBA -- that's OK.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/03/2010 03:45 AM, martin f krafft wrote:
>> also sprach Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> [2010.05.03.1039 +0200]:
>>> Is that Q21?
>>>
>>> http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-mdadm/mdadm.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/FAQ;hb=HEAD
>>>

>> Yes.

>>> Well, not me, since I don't have a soft array...
>>
>> Then you probably have much more annoying problems, or will have. ;)
>>

> I regularly backup to an external lvm2 LV.

I forget your specifics, but you do RAID *and* backup regularly to an
external lvm2?

Hugo

martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601(a)care2.com> [2010.05.04.1808 +0200]:
>> I forget your specifics, but you do RAID *and* backup regularly to an
>> external lvm2?
>
> RAID is not a backup solution, it's an availability measure.

But as data availability goes up by using RAID doesn't the need for
backing up that same data go down? Or is this just semantics?

Hugo

On Ter, 04 Mai 2010, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> martin f krafft wrote:
>> RAID is not a backup solution, it's an availability measure.
>>

> But as data availability goes up by using RAID doesn't the need for
> backing up that same data go down? Or is this just semantics?

RAID does not prevent against you accidentaly deleting a file you did
not want deleted. And the deletion will be immediately reflected to
all disks in the array.

--
Two is not equal to three, even for large values of two.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

On 05/04/2010 11:08 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
[snip]

> I forget your specifics, but you do RAID *and* backup regularly to an
> external lvm2?

No, no RAID for me *at home*. But at work I manage databases on all
sorts of (to use a quaint old phrase) super-minicomputers, and if
they ever needed to "resynchronize" monthly, we'd have tossed them
out immediately, since for the money we spend on them, they're
supposed to stay in sync *always*.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: boot Debian on a RouterStation Pro
Next: Should be easy