From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby on
> Siju George <sgeorge.ml(a)gmail.com> :
>Hi,
>ext3 can have only 32000 files/folders under a folder and I hit that
>limit. Which file system can I use to over come it?
>I am planning for JFS
>Does anybody has any recommendations?

ext4 is unlimited.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4 is wrong in the section "Break 32,000
subdirectory limit". SOmeone should correct it, because
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Sub_directory_scalability
clearly tells " Ext4 breaks that limit and allows unlimited number of
sub directories".
There is also an ext3 -> ext4 howto in the same page I gave above.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 03:03:57 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 04/23/2010 11:13 PM, Siju George wrote:

>> ext3 can have only 32000 files/folders under a folder and I hit that
>> limit. Which file system can I use to over come it? I am planning for
>> JFS
>>
>> Does anybody has any recommendations?
>>

> Since Mike Bird has demonstrated your erroneous claim, plz show us the
> real error message.

Is Wikipedia ext3 article¹ wrong then? :-?

***
Limits

Max number of files Variable, allocated at creation time[1]

[1] The maximum number of inodes (and hence the maximum number of files
and directories) is set when the file system is created. If V is the
volume size in bytes, then the default number of inodes is given by V/213
(or the number of blocks, whichever is less), and the minimum by V/223.
The default was deemed sufficient for most applications. The max number
of subdirectories in one directory is fixed to 32000.
***

Note that "The max number of subdirectories in one directory is fixed to
32000."

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:46:45 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Saturday 24 April 2010 09:16:46 Camaleón wrote:

>> Note that "The max number of subdirectories in one directory is fixed
>> to 32000."
>>
>> ¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
>
> The article to which you link refers to subdirectories. The OP refers
> to files. subdirectories != files.

Oh... sure? ;-)

> English can be a pain when it is not your first language - and, come to
> that, even if it is. ;-)

Well, I admit my English is not the very best it could be, but for sure
the OP concern was "32000 files/folders under a folder" and if I read
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that in a correctly manner, it says something about *folders under a
folder*... I hope "subdirectories = folders" is still valid.

:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 07:17:22 -0700, Mike Bird wrote:

> On Sat April 24 2010 07:00:37 Camaleón wrote:
>> Well, I admit my English is not the very best it could be, but for sure
>> the OP concern was "32000 files/folders under a folder" and if I read
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> that in a correctly manner, it says something about *folders under a
>> folder*... I hope "subdirectories = folders" is still valid.
>
> Hi Camaleón,
>
> In English the slash is understood to mean "or".

Yes, I know. Also in Spanish :-)

> There is no limit of 32000 files or folders under a folder in ext3.

Uh? :-?

> There is a limit of 31998 directories under a directory.

Uh? :-?

And "directory = folder", isnt't it?

> This is caused by the ext3 hard link count limit being 32000. Two
> links are needed for the parent directory entry and the current >
directory's ".", leaving only
> 31998 links available for ".." links from subdirectories.
>
> This limit is rarely encountered in practice because it is so much more
> efficient to use multiple directory levels, e.g.:
>
> parent-
> a-
> able
> alf
> b-
> beta
> bravo

And wasn't *that* the limit the OP was asking about or I misunderstood
something? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:24:04 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Saturday 24 April 2010 15:00:37 Camaleón wrote:
>> Well, I admit my English is not the very best it could be, but for sure
>> the OP concern was "32000 files/folders under a folder" and if I read
>>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> that in a correctly manner, it says something about *folders under a
>> folder*... I hope "subdirectories = folders" is still valid.
>
> Mea culpa. :-( I come across the term "folder" so rarely that it barely
> makes it into my passive vocabulary - let alone my active vocabulary. I
> simply failed to register it at all. I stand corrected. I am currently
> standing in a corner with a dunce's cap on. :-(

You can remove that cap and return to your desktop. No offence taken :-)

I know "folder" is very much used in windows environments (and also by
newbies) and "directory" is a more correct term, widely used by "techies".

> Which raises the question of - why the inconsistent results?? ;-)

What "inconsistent results" are you referring to? You mean the divergence
in the answers the OP is getting? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón