From: Siju George on
Hi,

ext3 can have only 32000 files/folders under a folder and I hit that limit.
Which file system can I use to over come it?
I am planning for JFS

Does anybody has any recommendations?

Thanks

--Siju

On Fri April 23 2010 21:13:27 Siju George wrote:
> ext3 can have only 32000 files/folders under a folder and I hit that limit.
> Which file system can I use to over come it?
> I am planning for JFS
>
> Does anybody has any recommendations?

There is no such limit. ext3 can handle as many files per folder
as you've got space for.

$ mkdir /tmp/foo
$ cd /tmp/foo
$ perl -e 'for ($i=0; $i<50000; ++$i) { open(F, ">$i"); close(F); }'
$ ls | wc -l
50000
$ mount | grep md1
/dev/md1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
$ mount | grep /tmp
$ cd
$ rm -rf /tmp/foo

--Mike Bird

On Saturday 24 April 2010 09:16:46 Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 03:03:57 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 04/23/2010 11:13 PM, Siju George wrote:
> >> ext3 can have only 32000 files/folders under a folder and I hit that
> >> limit. Which file system can I use to over come it? I am planning for
> >> JFS
> >>
> >> Does anybody has any recommendations?
> >
> > Since Mike Bird has demonstrated your erroneous claim, plz show us the
> > real error message.
>
> Is Wikipedia ext3 article¹ wrong then? :-?
>
> ***
> Limits
>
> Max number of files Variable, allocated at creation time[1]
>
> [1] The maximum number of inodes (and hence the maximum number of files
> and directories) is set when the file system is created. If V is the
> volume size in bytes, then the default number of inodes is given by V/213
> (or the number of blocks, whichever is less), and the minimum by V/223.
> The default was deemed sufficient for most applications. The max number
> of subdirectories in one directory is fixed to 32000.
> ***
>
> Note that "The max number of subdirectories in one directory is fixed to
> 32000."
>
> ¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3

The article to which you link refers to subdirectories. The OP refers to
files. subdirectories != files.

English can be a pain when it is not your first language - and, come to that,
even if it is. ;-)

Lisi

On Sat April 24 2010 07:00:37 Camaleón wrote:
> Well, I admit my English is not the very best it could be, but for sure
> the OP concern was "32000 files/folders under a folder" and if I read
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> that in a correctly manner, it says something about *folders under a
> folder*... I hope "subdirectories = folders" is still valid.

Hi Camaleón,

In English the slash is understood to mean "or". There is no limit of
32000 files or folders under a folder in ext3.

There is a limit of 31998 directories under a directory. This is caused by
the ext3 hard link count limit being 32000. Two links are needed for the
parent directory entry and the current directory's ".", leaving only
31998 links available for ".." links from subdirectories.

This limit is rarely encountered in practice because it is so much more
efficient to use multiple directory levels, e.g.:

parent-
a-
able
alf
b-
beta
bravo

--Mike Bird

On Saturday 24 April 2010 15:00:37 Camaleón wrote:
> Well, I admit my English is not the very best it could be, but for sure
> the OP concern was "32000 files/folders under a folder" and if I read
> that in a correctly manner, it says something about *folders under a
> folder*... I hope "subdirectories = folders" is still valid.

Mea culpa. :-( I come across the term "folder" so rarely that it barely makes
it into my passive vocabulary - let alone my active vocabulary. I simply
failed to register it at all. I stand corrected. I am currently standing in
a corner with a dunce's cap on. :-(

Which raises the question of - why the inconsistent results?? ;-)

Lisi