From: Long Wind on
I have HP VL420 and etch
ati rage 128 pro (or ultra?) works fine in kernel 2.6
but in kernel 2.4, it displays strangely
I have to return to text mode (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and reboot
and I have to use vesa driver in kernel 2.4

ati driver works fine in sarge, which use kernel 2.4

Can you help?

On 06/11/2010 04:12 PM, Long Wind wrote:
> I have HP VL420 and etch
> ati rage 128 pro (or ultra?) works fine in kernel 2.6
> but in kernel 2.4, it displays strangely
> I have to return to text mode (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and reboot
> and I have to use vesa driver in kernel 2.4
>
> ati driver works fine in sarge, which use kernel 2.4
>
> Can you help?

Before that, you need to hint us as to why you're still using a 2.4
kernel. Specialty h/w *might* require a different list.

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental

On 6/11/2010 4:12 PM, Long Wind wrote:
> I have HP VL420 and etch
> ati rage 128 pro (or ultra?) works fine in kernel 2.6
> but in kernel 2.4, it displays strangely
> I have to return to text mode (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and reboot
> and I have to use vesa driver in kernel 2.4
>
> ati driver works fine in sarge, which use kernel 2.4
>
> Can you help?

Kernel 2.4 is still used for some specialized reasons, but few people
want to use it unless they have such specific reasons. Also, few want
to use Sarge, since it doesn't get security updates. Perhaps you might
give us a few details about your system and your requirements.

Do you have a severe memory constraint, for example?

(Most driver updates these days probably assume the 2.6 kernel. You may
have to roll back to an older driver, if there is one. Also, it seems
you are unsure what hardware you actually have. It might help to find
out for sure. The difference might be significant.)

My reason for using old s/w doesn't matter

There are plenty of reason for running old s/w
that's why archive.debian.org exists
not only to offer sarge
but potato and rex!

On 06/11/2010 07:04 PM, Long Wind wrote:
> My reason for using old s/w doesn't matter

Only if you're paying us lots of money for sustaining *really* way
past EOL kit.

But you aren't...