Prev: OSSIM
Next: bigmem kernel
From: Tom H on
>> I have a hard drive with a primary partition and an extended partiton.
>> QTParted says that it has /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5 which is
>> what one would expect, but when I boot the disk the kernel reports
>> that there are only the /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 partitons, no /dev/hda5.

> What happened to /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda4?  How can there be a /dev/hda5
> without all the partitions in between?

If hda2 is an extended partition and there are only two primary
partitions, there will be no hda3 or hda4.

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:57:58 -0500 (EST), Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:44:10 -0500 (EST), David Goodenough wrote:
>>> I have a hard drive with a primary partition and an extended partiton.
>>> QTParted says that it has /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5 which is
>>> what one would expect, but when I boot the disk the kernel reports
>>> that there are only the /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 partitons, no /dev/hda5.
>>
>> What happened to /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda4? How can there be a /dev/hda5
>> without all the partitions in between?
>
> Using "MS-DOS" partitioning:
>
> 1-4 are the Primary partitions. Their extents are recorded on sector 0 of the
> drive.
>
> 5-15 are the Logical partitions. Their extents are recorded in a partition
> table store inside primary partition (which is not otherwise used).

I think I knew that at one time, but it's been so long since I used an
"extended partition" and "logical drives" that I had forgotten it.
Thanks for the partitioning lesson.

On Thursday 04 March 2010, David Goodenough wrote:
> I have a hard drive with a primary partition and an extended partiton.
> QTParted says that it has /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5 which is
> what one would expect, but when I boot the disk the kernel reports
> that there are only the /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 partitons, no /dev/hda5.
>
> The really odd thing is that qtparted is running on the kernel which
> can not see /dev/hda5.
>
> The disk is question is a 2.5" 160GB drive, and is quite new. The kernel
> log shows no errors.
>
> Any idea what might cause this and how to fix it (preferably without
> repartitioning the disk as backing it all up would take a while and also
> I do not know how I would access the data in /dev/hda5 if I can not see
> it).
>
> David

Well I found out a bit more. Firstly I booted from a Knoppix CD (2.6.19)
and it sees the partitions just fine. Then I looked in /var/log/kern.log
(previously I had been looking in dmesg) and found:-

hda: Host Protected Area detected.
^Icurrent capacity is 268435455 sectors (137438 MB)
^Inative capacity is 312581808 sectors (160041 MB)
hda: 268435455 sectors (137438 MB) w/8192KiB Cache,
CHS=16709/255/63
hda: cache flushes supported
hda: hda1 hda2 < >
hda: p1 size 302343237 exceeds device capacity, enabling native capacity
hda: detected capacity change from 137438952960 to 160041885696

which obviously did not used to happen with the Knoppix kernel, or the
older 2.6.26 kernel I ran from this disk before.

Anyone know what this Host Protected Area and what I do with it and
how I make it detect the disk properly?

David

On Thursday 04 March 2010, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2010, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I have a hard drive with a primary partition and an extended partiton.
> > QTParted says that it has /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5 which is
> > what one would expect, but when I boot the disk the kernel reports
> > that there are only the /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 partitons, no
/dev/hda5.

> > The really odd thing is that qtparted is running on the kernel which
> > can not see /dev/hda5.
> >
> > The disk is question is a 2.5" 160GB drive, and is quite new. The
kernel
> > log shows no errors.
> >
> > Any idea what might cause this and how to fix it (preferably without
> > repartitioning the disk as backing it all up would take a while and also
> > I do not know how I would access the data in /dev/hda5 if I can not see
> > it).
> >
> > David
>
> Well I found out a bit more. Firstly I booted from a Knoppix CD (2.6.19)
> and it sees the partitions just fine. Then I looked in /var/log/kern.log
> (previously I had been looking in dmesg) and found:-
>
> hda: Host Protected Area detected.
> ^Icurrent capacity is 268435455 sectors (137438 MB)
> ^Inative capacity is 312581808 sectors (160041 MB)
> hda: 268435455 sectors (137438 MB) w/8192KiB Cache,
> CHS=16709/255/63
> hda: cache flushes supported
> hda: hda1 hda2 < >
> hda: p1 size 302343237 exceeds device capacity, enabling native
capacity
> hda: detected capacity change from 137438952960 to 160041885696
>
> which obviously did not used to happen with the Knoppix kernel, or the
> older 2.6.26 kernel I ran from this disk before.
>
> Anyone know what this Host Protected Area and what I do with it and
> how I make it detect the disk properly?
>
> David

I found Host Protected Area on Google, and it said I could turn it off
using hdparm, but when I try it says:-

hdparm -N /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
The running kernel lacks CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL support for this device.
READ_NATIVE_MAX_ADDRESS_EXT failed: Invalid argument

Do we need another option turned on in the kernel?

David

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:58:02 -0500 (EST), David Goodenough wrote:
> I found Host Protected Area on Google, and it said I could turn it off
> using hdparm, but when I try it says:-
>
> hdparm -N /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
> The running kernel lacks CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL support for this device.
> READ_NATIVE_MAX_ADDRESS_EXT failed: Invalid argument
>
> Do we need another option turned on in the kernel?

Make sure you really know what you're doing if you disable detection
of a system-protected area. If it really is a system-protected area,
it's protected for a reason, and you ought not to let Linux use it.
I'm thinking way back to the IBM PS/2 model 9577 that I used to have.
This machine has a microchannel bus. It had a "system partition"
on the (SCSI) hard disk that contained what used to be on the "reference
diskette" and "advanced diagnostic diskette" on older PS/2 models. It
contained things such as the advanced BIOS routines (BIOS routines designed
to be called from protected mode -- intended for use by OS/2),
the BIOS setup program, microchannel configuration utilities,
diagnostic and testing routines, etc.

If you wipe that out, the
machine cannot boot *anything* EXCEPT a valid reference
diskette -- a diskette containing what the system partition should
contain. I had to backup the system partition to diskettes
(using IBM's internal backup utility) prior to upgrading to a bigger
hard disk, then boot the reference diskette just created and
re-create the system partition on the new hard disk after installing it.
If I didn't follow that special procedure, my machine was a brick.

Things are done differently now, of course, but the point is "don't
mess with a system protected area unless you really know what you are
doing". Maybe this is something else, but be sure first.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: OSSIM
Next: bigmem kernel