Prev: OSSIM
Next: bigmem kernel
From: David Goodenough on
On Friday 05 March 2010, consul tores wrote:
> 2010/3/5 David Goodenough <david.goodenough(a)btconnect.com>:

> >> The problem does not look related with HD, it is more related to
the
> >> kernel. Anyway, You can use a specific tool which is provided by the
> >> HDs' company.
> >
> > Well the linux tool to do the job is supposed to be hdparm -N, but that
> > does not work because the correct option is not selected in the kernel
> > (CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL).
> >
> > David
>
> Yes, it is absolutely correct respect to kernel, but the second
> sentences is related to the HD (hardware). The first one reffers to
> the kernel.
>
> francisco

Are you saying there is a hardware tool provided by Samsung?

Anyway, if you look at bug 572618 you will see the solution, it involves
two parameters for modules.

David

2010/3/5 David Goodenough <david.goodenough(a)btconnect.com>:
> On Friday 05 March 2010, consul tores wrote:

>  the
>> >
>> > Well the linux tool to do the job is supposed to be hdparm -N, but that
>> > does not work because the correct option is not selected in the kernel
>> > (CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL).
>> >
>> > David
>>
>> Yes, it is absolutely correct respect to kernel, but the second
>> sentences is related to the HD (hardware). The first one reffers to
>> the kernel.
>>
>> francisco
>>
> Are you saying there is a hardware tool provided by Samsung?
>
> Anyway, if you look at bug 572618 you will see the solution, it involves
> two parameters for modules.
>
> David

Yes, it has been a norm for many brands, in fact, some tools work on
many HDs, but i insist it does not look like a hardware problem, it
looks clearly like kernel problem.

If i were in this situation again, first thing to check, should be
using the old kernel which worked well. after that, if i have the same
problem, testing the HD with cfdisk, fdisk and sfdisk should be
sufficient to discard a hardware problem; first, reading man pages,
and DO NOT DOING any change, do not writing any thing. Also, there are
Debian tools that work very efficiently as testdisk, smart-tools (i am
not sure), and others to check HDs and recover data.

francisco.

"thanks for the information:
bug # 572618.
You should be able to make the kernel ignore the HPA thus:

1. Create a file under /etc/modprobe.d containing the lines:
options ide_core nohpa=0.0
options libata ignore_hpa=1
2. Run 'update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32-2-686'
3. Reboot

Ben."

On Friday 05 March 2010, consul tores wrote:
> 2010/3/5 David Goodenough <david.goodenough(a)btconnect.com>:
> > On Friday 05 March 2010, consul tores wrote:

> > the

> >> Yes, it is absolutely correct respect to kernel, but the second
> >> sentences is related to the HD (hardware). The first one reffers to
> >> the kernel.
> >>
> >> francisco
> >
> > Are you saying there is a hardware tool provided by Samsung?
> >
> > Anyway, if you look at bug 572618 you will see the solution, it involves
> > two parameters for modules.
> >
> > David
>
> Yes, it has been a norm for many brands, in fact, some tools work on
> many HDs, but i insist it does not look like a hardware problem, it
> looks clearly like kernel problem.
>
> If i were in this situation again, first thing to check, should be
> using the old kernel which worked well. after that, if i have the same
> problem, testing the HD with cfdisk, fdisk and sfdisk should be
> sufficient to discard a hardware problem; first, reading man pages,
> and DO NOT DOING any change, do not writing any thing. Also, there are
> Debian tools that work very efficiently as testdisk, smart-tools (i am
> not sure), and others to check HDs and recover data.

Actually the problem is (as I have pointed out in the bug report) worse
that this, because while the kernel has been updated to take note of
the HPA, the tools such as *parted have not. So if your disk has an HPA
and you try to partition it using *parted, presumably you will get what
looks like a hardware error, and it will make no sense as the sizes
reported by *parted are the physical ones, not the HPA reduced ones.

David

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:28:29 -0500 (EST), David Goodenough wrote:
> Actually the problem is (as I have pointed out in the bug report) worse
> that this, because while the kernel has been updated to take note of
> the HPA, the tools such as *parted have not. So if your disk has an HPA
> and you try to partition it using *parted, presumably you will get what
> looks like a hardware error, and it will make no sense as the sizes
> reported by *parted are the physical ones, not the HPA reduced ones.

That's not the only area in which parted lags behind. On the s390
platform, parted does not recognize CMS-formatted disks, but the
kernel does. (In fact, on FBA DASD, CMS-formatted disks are the *only*
format the kernel supports.) The result is that an entire class of DASD
devices (all FBA DASD devices) are effectively unsupported by the
Debian installer, and CKD devices which are in CMS format are also
unsupported. I had to come up with a rather elaborate procedure to
get Debian installed on CMS-formatted disks
(see http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/diag250.htm if you're interested.)
I think the Debian installer itself would probably work if parted
recognized the CMS disk format. It wouldn't need to have read/write
capabilities (create partition, delete partition, resize partition, etc.).
All it needs to be able to do is to recognize the partition and
report its size correctly. I think the Debian installer could probably
handle things from there.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: OSSIM