From: briand on

Hi all,

I was having some problems with ooffice so I did "apt-get update" and
then ran "apt-get upgrade" to see if ooffice was among the packages to
be upgraded. It wasn't, but I tried "apt-get install ooffice"
anyway, and presto it started upgrading ooffice.

So I looked at the man-page:

upgrade
is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently
installed on the system

I did, in fact, have ooffice installed so I'm not clean on why upgrade
alone did seem to want to upgrade the package.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Brian

briand(a)aracnet.com skrev:
> I was having some problems with ooffice so I did "apt-get update" and
> then ran "apt-get upgrade" to see if ooffice was among the packages to
> be upgraded. It wasn't, but I tried "apt-get install ooffice"
> anyway, and presto it started upgrading ooffice.
>
> So I looked at the man-page:
>
> upgrade
> is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently
> installed on the system
>
> I did, in fact, have ooffice installed so I'm not clean on why upgrade
> alone did seem to want to upgrade the package.
>
> Any ideas ?

My first guess:

Perhaps you did not quote enough text from the man page?

[From the text on upgrade]

New versions of
currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
changing the install status of another package will be left
at their current version.

As ooffice is a rather complex package, it seems plausible to me that a
new version would require other packages to be installed as well, and
upgrade is not bold enough to do that.

I think you may be interested in the dist-upgrade command instead.

/ johan

Quoting Johan Grönqvist on 2010-04-05 23:50:37:

> I think you may be interested in the dist-upgrade command instead.

Now called full-upgrade (though dist-upgrade remains for backcompat).
upgrade is now safe-upgrade.

--
_ Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0 .
( ) ICQ UIN: 43190205 | Mail/MSN/Jabber: BrianLRyans(a)gmail.com ..:
From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-04-06 07:12 +0200, Brian Ryans wrote:

> Quoting Johan Gr�nqvist on 2010-04-05 23:50:37:
>>
>> I think you may be interested in the dist-upgrade command instead.
>
> Now called full-upgrade (though dist-upgrade remains for backcompat).
> upgrade is now safe-upgrade.

This is true for aptitude but not for apt-get.

Sven

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 06:50:37 +0200
Johan Grönqvist <johan.gronqvist(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> My first guess:
>
> Perhaps you did not quote enough text from the man page?
>
> [From the text on upgrade]
>
> New versions of
> currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded
> without changing the install status of another package will be left
> at their current version.

That was a very good guess.

> As ooffice is a rather complex package, it seems plausible to me that
> a new version would require other packages to be installed as well,
> and upgrade is not bold enough to do that.

it does seem plausible, doesn't it ? :-)

> I think you may be interested in the dist-upgrade command instead.

I thought of that, but I thought it was for going from stable to
testing, or a similar sort of thing. The man page tells all !

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new
versions of packages;

Thank You,

Brian