From: Mike Viau on

Hello,

I have used aptitude show $(package_name) to list the details of a given package.

In the output of the vlan package for example one gets output like:

[snip]

Section: misc

[/snip]

How might one determine all packages (installed or not) that fall under a particular "Priority" or "Section" ?

I was thinking something pseudo like aptitude show $(all packages) | grep (essential or required or important or standard or optional or extra)

-M

Videos that have everyone talking! Now also in HD!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9724465
From: Tom H on
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Mike Viau <viaum(a)sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:
> I have used aptitude show $(package_name) to list the details of a given
> package.
>
> In the output of the vlan package for example one gets output like:
>
> [snip]

> Section: misc
>
> [/snip]
>
> How might one determine all packages (installed or not) that fall under a
> particular "Priority" or "Section" ?
>
> I was thinking something pseudo like aptitude show $(all packages) | grep
> (essential or required or important or standard or optional or extra)

aptitude search ~s<section>
aptitude search ~p<priority>

Mon, 5 Apr 2010 17:47:36 -0400 <tomh0665(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Mike Viau <viaum(a)sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:
> > I have used aptitude show $(package_name) to list the details of a given
> > package.
> >
> > In the output of the vlan package for example one gets output like:
> >
> > [snip]

> > Section: misc
> >
> > [/snip]
> >
> > How might one determine all packages (installed or not) that fall under a
> > particular "Priority" or "Section" ?
> >
> > I was thinking something pseudo like aptitude show $(all packages) | grep
> > (essential or required or important or standard or optional or extra)
>
> aptitude search ~s<section>
> aptitude search ~p<priority>

Thanks for the tip. I noticed ~p works with all but the essential priority for some reason.

With your tip I was able to find this link:
http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/ch02s03s05.html#tableSearchTermQuickGuide

I noticed how terms might be ANDed together but I would appreicated a working example of this.

[snip]

?and(term1, term2)
term1 term2
Select any package that matches both
term1 and
term2.

[/snip]

Both "aptitude search ~pextra ~smisc" and "aptitude search ~pextra search ~smisc" resulted in a list of package which did not necessarily meet both the search patterns specified.

Table 2.1. Quick guide to search termsLong formShort formDescription
?=variable

Select the package bound to
variable; see the section called “Explicit search targets”.
?not(pattern)!pattern
Select any package that does not match
pattern.

?action(action)
~aaction
Select packages that have been marked for the given
action (e.g.,
“install” or
“upgrade”).

?all-versions(pattern)

Select packages whose versions all match
pattern.

?and(term1, term2)
term1 term2
Select any package that matches both
term1 and
term2.
?any-version(pattern)
Select packages for which at least one version
matches pattern.

?archive(archive)

~Aarchive

Select packages from the given archive (such as
“unstable”).
?automatic~M
Select packages that were automatically installed.
?bind(variable, pattern)
?variable:term-name[(args)]

Selects anything if
variable matches
pattern; see the section called “Explicit search targets”.
?broken~b
Select packages that have a broken dependency.
?broken-depType~BdepType
Select package that have a broken dependency of the
given depType.
?broken-depType(pattern)~DB[depType:]pattern
Select packages that have a broken dependency of the
given depType matching
pattern.
?broken-reverse-depType(pattern)~RBdepType:pattern
Select packages that a package matching
pattern declares a broken
dependency of type depType.

?conflicts(pattern)
~Cpattern
Select packages that conflict with a package
matching pattern.
?config-files~c
Select packages that were removed but not purged.
?depType(pattern)~D[depType:]pattern
Match packages that declare a dependency of type
depType on a package
matching pattern.
?description(description)~ddescription
Select packages whose description matches
description.
?essential~E
Select essential packages, those with
Essential: yes in their control
files.
?false~F
Select no packages.
?for variable: pattern
Select packages that match
pattern with
variable bound to the
package being matched; see the section called “Explicit search targets”.
?garbage~g
Select packages that are not required by any manually
installed package.
?installed~iSelect installed packages.?maintainer(maintainer)~mmaintainer
Select packages maintained by
maintainer.
?narrow(filter, pattern)~S filter pattern
Select packages for which a single version matches
both filter and
pattern.
?name(name)~nname, name
Select packages with the given name.
?new~N
Select new packages.
?obsolete~o
Match installed packages that cannot be downloaded.
?or(term1, term2)term1 | term2
Select packages that match
term1,
term2, or both.
?origin(origin)~Oorigin
Select packages with the given
origin.
?provides(pattern)~Ppattern
Select packages that provide a package matching
pattern.
?priority(priority)~ppriority
Select packages with the given priority.
?reverse-depType(pattern)~R[depType:]pattern
Select packages that are the targets of a dependency
of type depType declared
by a package matching
pattern.
?reverse-broken-depType(pattern)~RBdepType:pattern
Select packages that are the targets of a broken
dependency of type
depType declared by a
package matching pattern.
?section(section)~ssection
Select packages in the given section.
?source-package(name)
Select packages whose source package name matches
the regular expression
name.
?source-version(version)
Select packages whose source version matches the
regular expression version.
?tag(tag)~Gtag
Select packages that have the given debtags
tag.
?true~T
Select all packages.
?task(task)~ttask
Select packages that are in the given
task.
?upgradable~U
Select packages that are installed and can be
upgraded.
?user-tag
Select packages that are marked with a user-tag
matching the regular expression
user-tag.
?version(version)~Vversion
Select packages whose version matches
version (special values:
CURRENT,
CANDIDATE, and
TARGET).
?virtual~v
Select virtual packages.
?widen(pattern)~Wpattern
Select versions for which
pattern matches any version
of the corresponding package, discarding local
version restrictions.

-M

Got a phone? Get Hotmail & Messenger for mobile!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9724464
From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Monday 05 April 2010 17:14:42 Mike Viau wrote:
> Both "aptitude search ~pextra ~smisc" and "aptitude search ~pextra search
> ~smisc" resulted in a list of package which did not necessarily meet both
> the search patterns specified.

For short form, you can generally just smash things together to logical-AND
them. (aptitude search '~pextra~smisc') should do what you want.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Mike Viau on

Mon, 5 Apr 2010 19:25:53 -0500 <bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> On Monday 05 April 2010 17:14:42 Mike Viau wrote:
> > Both "aptitude search ~pextra ~smisc" and "aptitude search ~pextra search
> > ~smisc" resulted in a list of package which did not necessarily meet both
> > the search patterns specified.
>
> For short form, you can generally just smash things together to logical-AND
> them. (aptitude search '~pextra~smisc') should do what you want.

Yes thank you, that works much better :)

> --
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
> bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
> http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/

Hotmail & Messenger. Get them on your phone now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9724463