From: Daniel Dalton on
Every 20 odd boots my system does a checkdisk scan of sda5 (root file
system) and sda7 /home. As it's a laptop and I need fast booting, how
can I stop these checks all together? I tried setting the 6th field of
fstab to 0 for both partitions. I thought it was working, but it seemed
to do one check just before, so I'm concerned it's not working. Or is
this just a one off? It's possible I failed to shutdown the machine
correctly. I forget now.

Thanks,
Dan
From: Xavier Petit de Meurville on
Hi, what is your filesystem on this partition ?
I don't very well, but maybe you can see the tune2fs command,
for example <tune2fs -l > (for ext2/3/4) list the current values of your
filesystem :
~]# tune2fs -l /dev/sda6

Last checked: Fri Feb 5 11:48:41 2010
Check interval: 15552000 (6 months)

And you can use the same command to change it:
~]# man tune2fs
-i interval-between-checks[d|m|w]
Adjust the maximal time between two filesystem checks. No
postfix or d result in days, m in months, and w
in weeks. A value of zero will disable the time-dependent
checking.

From: Kelly Harding on

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:01:18PM -0300, Xavier Petit de Meurville wrote:
> Hi, what is your filesystem on this partition ?
> I don't very well, but maybe you can see the tune2fs command,

Ah great, thank you. I think it was still set to check after 27 mounts
or something. I had a read of the man page, and I think I have enabled
what I want now.

Thanks!
Dan

On Sat,27.Feb.10, 13:32:15, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> Ah great, thank you. I think it was still set to check after 27 mounts
> or something. I had a read of the man page, and I think I have enabled
> what I want now.

It would be wise to do your own regular checks though. The simplest way
is to 'touch /forcefsck' and reboot.

Regards,
Andrei