From: Daniel Dalton on
Hi,

I've had a good look around and still can't work this one out. Does
anyone know how to configure wifi from the command line? I'm currently
using wicd, so all my hardware is supported, however, as I rarely start
X I would prefer to manage wifi connections through the cli.

I believe I have to use wpasupplicant. Can someone point me to a howto
that gives me a few examples of the wpasupplicant config and interfacing
it with /etc/network/interfaces.

I would like my setup to automatically connect to open networks. It
should connect to the one with the strongest signal. If that fails then
it should connect to any wpa networks if they are in range. I would like
some examples, so I can learn how to tweak the config quickly.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm using the asus eeepc 1008ha and
debian squeeze if that matters.

Cheers,
Dan

> I've had a good look around and still can't work this one out. Does
> anyone know how to configure wifi from the command line? I'm currently
> using wicd, so all my hardware is supported, however, as I rarely start
> X I would prefer to manage wifi connections through the cli.

> I believe I have to use wpasupplicant. Can someone point me to a howto
> that gives me a few examples of the wpasupplicant config and interfacing
> it with /etc/network/interfaces.

> I would like my setup to automatically connect to open networks. It
> should connect to the one with the strongest signal. If that fails then
> it should connect to any wpa networks if they are in range. I would like
> some examples, so I can learn how to tweak the config quickly.

For WPA2, I use these /e/n/i settings
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-driver wext
wpa-ssid <ssid>
wpa-psk <key>

You can add these but I don't
wpa-ap-scan [1¦2]
wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
wpa-proto RSN
wpa-pairwise CCMP
wpa-group CCMP

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:24:39AM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had a good look around and still can't work this one out. Does
> anyone know how to configure wifi from the command line? I'm currently
> using wicd, so all my hardware is supported, however, as I rarely start
> X I would prefer to manage wifi connections through the cli.

There is the wicd-curses interface. I have never tried it, though.

-Rob

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:24:39AM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi,

> I've had a good look around and still can't work this one out. Does
> anyone know how to configure wifi from the command line? I'm currently
> using wicd, so all my hardware is supported, however, as I rarely start
> X I would prefer to manage wifi connections through the cli.

wicd has a curses interface that you may find helpful. On the other
hand, I connect via shell with ifconfig, iwconfig (to set the interface)
and dhcpcd. Briefly...

ifconfig (interface) down
iwconfig (interface) essid (X) key (key)
ifconfig (interface) up
dhcpcd (interface).

with differences regarding the type of connection.

You can create a root script, one per profile/connection, running this commands.
Read the man pages, it's easy. It's a pity Archlinux's wireless tools are not
available in Debian, as they are great cli-tools.

> I believe I have to use wpasupplicant. Can someone point me to a howto
> that gives me a few examples of the wpasupplicant config and interfacing
> it with /etc/network/interfaces.

Never touched it (only on buggy hardy heron). I think wpasupplicant is
activated through dhcpcd (not sure). And I never really liked the
interfaces file. My problem.

> I would like my setup to automatically connect to open networks. It
> should connect to the one with the strongest signal. If that fails then
> it should connect to any wpa networks if they are in range. I would like
> some examples, so I can learn how to tweak the config quickly.

Dunno.

--
Omar Campagne Polaino

vim-doc-es: <http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/vim-doc-es>

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:24AM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Dan

> I've had a good look around and still can't work this one out. Does
> anyone know how to configure wifi from the command line? I'm currently
> using wicd, so all my hardware is supported, however, as I rarely start
> X I would prefer to manage wifi connections through the cli.

I'm using Debian Lenny with wicd. There's the command 'wicd-curses',
which I believe is in it's own package (wicd-curses?) for newer
versions of wicd.

> I believe I have to use wpasupplicant. Can someone point me to a howto
> that gives me a few examples of the wpasupplicant config and interfacing
> it with /etc/network/interfaces.

I have no experience with using wpasupplicant so can't help you there,
sorry...

> I would like my setup to automatically connect to open networks. It
> should connect to the one with the strongest signal. If that fails then
> it should connect to any wpa networks if they are in range. I would like
> some examples, so I can learn how to tweak the config quickly.

can't help you with that either, sorry again

> Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm using the asus eeepc 1008ha and
> debian squeeze if that matters.

Hope that helps

> Cheers,
> Dan