From: Adam Hardy on
I know this must be obvious to anyone who does this all the time, but I can't
figure it out and following a googling session I ended up trashing my network,
so I figured I'd better ask.

I am trying to install a Belkin wireless print server and it's got a web
interface factory setting on 192.168.2.253 which I currently can't browse with
my setup as it is (request timed out).

I'm working on my LAN's gateway server, which has two NICs, one for the local
network eth0 and one for the internet.

The Belkin print server is switched on, but as said, I can't browse it
presumably because my LAN is set up on 192.168.0.x

To make things possibly more complicated, the gateway is using iptables but I'm
not convinced it's iptables causing the problem. Packets should be able to get
straight out of the gateway internal interface as long as they don't come from
the external interface.

I'm more expecting it to be my subnet mask that I need to change, but like I
mentioned first, when I tried changing that I downed the whole network, which
looks like this:

eth0 inet addr:192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth1 inet addr:86.182.225.179 Bcast:86.182.225.179 Mask:255.255.255.255

Any inspiration gratefully received.

Thanks
Adam

Adam Hardy:

> I am trying to install a Belkin wireless print server and it's got a web
> interface factory setting on 192.168.2.253 which I currently can't browse
> with my setup as it is (request timed out).
>
> I'm working on my LAN's gateway server, which has two NICs, one for the
> local network eth0 and one for the internet.

Your problem most probably is that your gateway is missing a (host)
route to the print server. Because of that, it routes requests to the
print server through its default interface (the one connected to the
internet. AFAIK, something like

# route add -host 192.168.2.253 eth0

Should do the trick. And if that gateway is already the default gateway
for your LAN clients, these clients should be able to reach the print
server as well. Otherwise, you need to find out how to push static
routes to the clients (via DHCP) or configure them manually where
necessary.

J.
--
Watching television is more hip than actually speaking to anyone.
[Agree] [Disagree]
From: Robert David on
Hi

First: Why cant you set the printer to apply your local network. Just set some
computer in the local network with static addres 192.168.2.x, connect to
printer administration console and set it up.

Second: If it cannot be set. Try to extend your current mask with another two
bits => 255.255.251.0 (192.168.0.0/22)

But I suggest you to do the first step. Because the second could cause
problems on some devices with static ip set and you will need to change the
config.

Robert.

Robert David on 25/01/10 14:51, wrote:
> Hi
>
> First: Why cant you set the printer to apply your local network. Just set some
> computer in the local network with static addres 192.168.2.x, connect to
> printer administration console and set it up.
>
> Second: If it cannot be set. Try to extend your current mask with another two
> bits => 255.255.251.0 (192.168.0.0/22)
>
> But I suggest you to do the first step. Because the second could cause
> problems on some devices with static ip set and you will need to change the
> config.

Yes I could do that but I'd like to understand how to do this business with the
two networks, and if for whatever reason I have to repeat the printer server
configuration, it could get tedious using another workstation and setting it up
to be on 192.168.2.1 each time.

Plus I think I did something similar before with the DSL modem, which has a web
interface on 192.168.1.1 and that currently works - although it's on the
external NIC.

Thanks though
Adam

>I'm more expecting it to be my subnet mask that I need to change, but like I
>mentioned first, when I tried changing that I downed the whole network, which
>looks like this:

>eth0 inet addr:192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

>eth1 inet addr:86.182.225.179 Bcast:86.182.225.179 Mask:255.255.255..255
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

>Any inspiration gratefully received.

>Thanks
>Adam

Don't change the network mask for your LAN. It is fastest to just use a sub-interface:

1) as root: ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.2.1/24 up
2) as regular user: ping the Belkin & make sure it is where you think it is, then browse to the Belkin, configure it, change it's IP to match your LAN
3) as root: ifconfig eth0:0 down

You can routinely use sub-interfaces to handle situations like this where new equipment has a default IP address that isn't part of your normal subnet.. Using a sub-interface won't interfere with your normal LAN traffic. Rather, you can think of them as a "virtual NIC" that is sharing the same physical network as your LAN. The ifconfig manpage will tell you more.

Cheers,

James