From: Edward Shornock on
03.03.2010 00:21, Bernard kirjoitti:
> Hi to Everyone !
>
> What a surprise ! I have been using Thunderbird and Icedove for so long,
> that it had never crossed my mind that I could suddenly lose mail.

A few things to possibly try:

-create a new profile (icedove -P) and with Icedove/Thunderbird close,
copy the mail file (probably ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/$profile/Mail/Local
Folders/Inbox) to this new profile.
-Try opening the inbox with mutt, for example "mutt -f
~/.mozilla-thunderbird/$profile/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox"

I had a similar problem. In my case, the profile was corrupted but the
mail itself was intact. Just one folder inhibited the strange behaviour,
and it was just a select few messages.

I wasn't able to determine what file in the profile directory was
causing the problems though...

Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Bernard wrote:
>
>> Again I re-installed the old .mozilla-thunderbird directory, waiting
>> for more advices
>
> Icedove has a 4gb folder size limit.. could you have hit that?
>
> Mike

I don't have a single folder that big. However, my directory :

..mozilla-thunderbird/j1ay1d2c.default/Mail

is 4458 MB large, that is about 4.4 gb.

My .mozilla-thunderbird/j1ay1d2c.default/Mail/'Local Folders'/Inbox.sbd
directory holds 1242 Mb (1.2 gb) altogether with all Inbox subfolders.

In any case, the disappearing of 2640 message bodies out of 2700 on the
Inbox folder (the subfolders did not lose their message bodies), was
sudden, it must have happened not later than a few days ago

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:16:33 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> Mike Dresser wrote:

>> Icedove has a 4gb folder size limit.. could you have hit that?
>>

> I don't have a single folder that big. However, my directory :
>
> .mozilla-thunderbird/j1ay1d2c.default/Mail
>
> is 4458 MB large, that is about 4.4 gb.
>
> My .mozilla-thunderbird/j1ay1d2c.default/Mail/'Local Folders'/Inbox.sbd
> directory holds 1242 Mb (1.2 gb) altogether with all Inbox subfolders.
>
> In any case, the disappearing of 2640 message bodies out of 2700 on the
> Inbox folder (the subfolders did not lose their message bodies), was
> sudden, it must have happened not later than a few days ago

Check out the Mozillazine article about this:

***
Disappearing mail
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail
***

Maybe your mbox is corrupted... have you ever perfomed a "compact"
operation?

Disclaimer: Before making any experiment, better *make a full backup* of
your complete ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/* profile.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Edward Shornock wrote:
> 03.03.2010 00:21, Bernard kirjoitti:
>> Hi to Everyone !
>>
>> What a surprise ! I have been using Thunderbird and Icedove for so long,
>> that it had never crossed my mind that I could suddenly lose mail.
>

> A few things to possibly try:
>
> -create a new profile (icedove -P) and with Icedove/Thunderbird close,
> copy the mail file (probably
> ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/$profile/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox) to this new
> profile.
> -Try opening the inbox with mutt, for example "mutt -f
> ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/$profile/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox"
>
> I had a similar problem. In my case, the profile was corrupted but the
> mail itself was intact. Just one folder inhibited the strange
> behaviour, and it was just a select few messages.
>
> I wasn't able to determine what file in the profile directory was
> causing the problems though...

Thanks for this input. In the new profile that I have created, in which
I copied the older profile Inbox mail file, only the mails that are more
recent than Feb 13 display a subject line, that is, those mails that had
not lost their bodies in the older profile.

Now, let's get back to the old profile. I have discovered huge mixups,
very puzzling things indeed. The inbox file that displays with

vi ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/$profile/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox

(same as that displayed using

mutt -f ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/$profile/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox),
easier to read with mutt

IS NOT THE SAME as what I get in Icedove when displaying the Inbox folder !

with other folders, even those that are subfolders of Inbox, I get the
same messages whether I display them in Icedove or with 'vi' or 'mutt',
but there is an exception in the Inbox main folder. Maybe not just one
exception, since the "junk" folder also seems to be out of the tracks.

Let us speak first of the "junk" folder. That folder, when being
displayed with Icedove, only shows two junk mails that I have received
today. I move that junk box to "Trash" everyday, after having checked
that is was all junk, so there should barely remain anything in it for
more than a day or so. As for the "Trash" box, I ditch its content each
time it gets bigger than 1000 messages or so. However, my
~/.mozilla-thunderbird/$profile/Mail/'Local Folder'/Junk file is as
follows :

-rw------- 1 bd bd 1193936487 mar 4 16:04 Junk

that is about 1.2 gb ! If I open it with vi or mutt, I find 112,500
messages (only 2 messages if opened in Icedove). It seems that all those
messages have bodies (I checked here and there along the list, including
old ones from 2007). Even though I could chedk no more than about 5% if
those, it seems to be only junk mail

As for the 'Inbox' folder, as displayed in Icedove, it shows 2640
message subject lines including only 60 newer messages with bodies, and
2580 older than feb 13th without bodies, none of them being junk mail.
But the

~/.mozilla-thunderbird/$profile/Mail/'Local Folder'/Inbox file opened
with vi or mutt, shows

1729 message subject lines, none older than february 13th 2010, all with
bodies. These seem to include the 60 messages with bodies that display
in Icedove, the rest being junk mail that should normally be in the
"Junk" folder ! Some of these messages may come from the "Trash" folder,
not the "Junk" one, as I reckognized those which I ditched without going
through Junk. Ah yes, a more careful check also shows message from other
folders that are subfolders of "Inbox" !

What a mess... !!

Camaleón wrote:

> Check out the Mozillazine article about this:
>
> ***
> Disappearing mail
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail
> ***
>
> Maybe your mbox is corrupted... have you ever perfomed a "compact"
> operation?

No, I never have. I read the interresting article on Mozillazine.org,
and I have understood that my mbox got corrupted because of too many
mails in the Inbox folder, with no compacting. Following the given
advice, I did another trial. It was matter of copying the whole of the
Inbox folder to a newly created folder. But this did not work either :
only those messages in the Inbox folder that had bodies available, got
copied. I tried to copy 2700 or so messages, and in the end only 60 got
copied, all of those with bodies + 3 or 4 messages without bodies. I
still attempted to compact the new folder, but I got nothing more. So,
my fear is that I have lost all my inbox except the more recent
messages, that is, from february 14th on. I am on the Internet ever
since 1994, and I had never lost any mail so far, having used "Forte
Agent" under MSWIN 3.1, then "StarOfficeMail" on RedHat Linux, then
"Thunderbird"... I could recuperate very old mail from backups that I
made in the old days, that would work up to august 2009. Then, from
August 2009 to February 14th 2010, I have lost everything that was in my
Inbox (fortunately a few messages had been moved to other folders)

Thanks to Everyone for your help.