From: thib on
Wow. If you haven't already, you should immediately backup the box before
trying some magic on it. It's probably located at
~/.mozilla-thunderbird/$profile/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox.

What's the size of the box? If it looks too small, open it with a text
editor or another mail agent and check if your older mails are actually in
there.

If nothing is lost, you could firstly try compacting the box in thunderbird
(right click on it, then "Compact"). That might fix the error as a
side-effect, but I wouldn't bet too much money on it.

Can't think of anything clever, maybe someone has an idea.

Bonne chance.

-thib

After the already recommended backup you could also try to rebuild the
index of the Inbox folder by right-clicking on this folder and choosing
properties. On the "General Information" panel you'll find the "Rebuild
Index" button.
--
Regards,
J�rg-Volker.

J�rg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> After the already recommended backup you could also try to rebuild the
> index of the Inbox folder by right-clicking on this folder and choosing
> properties. On the "General Information" panel you'll find the "Rebuild
> Index" button.

Thanks for this reply. I have just tested this, that is, clicking the
"Rebuild Index" button. The process only took a few tenth of a second.
This being done, I restarted Icedove, and noticed that all of the
messages that had previously lost their bodies, had completely
disappeared. My message list was therefore much shortened.

So, I deleted the ".mozilla-thunderbird/" in my local directory, and
re-installed the saved one. I have therefore returned to my older
problem : messages older than Feb 13th no longer have bodies available.

Someone advised that I remove the following file :

~/.mozilla-thunderbird/playld2c.default/Mail/mail.teaser.fr/Inbox.msf

and then restart Icedove, and that the said file would rebuild itself
and re-create an index. I have tested that too. Once that file was
removed, Icedove did restart OK, but the mails in the "Inbox" folder
were exactly like before, that is, all subject lines were there but only
recent messages could display bodies. The limit was exactly like before.
This being realized, I quit Icedove and searched for the supposedly
rebuilt "Inbox.msf" file. Well, I did find it, as it had indeed been
rebuilt... but it only had 0 byte ! While the previous Inbox.msf file
had 1811 bytes and was dated nov 28th, 2009.

Again I re-installed the old .mozilla-thunderbird directory, waiting for
more advices

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Bernard wrote:

> Again I re-installed the old .mozilla-thunderbird directory, waiting for more
> advices

Icedove has a 4gb folder size limit.. could you have hit that?

Mike

Have you tried to open the box with a simple text editor? What size is it?

This doesn't look good. =/
Seems like the file has been truncated.

-thib