From: hugo vanwoerkom on
Hi,

I did a net-install of Lenny on an Acer laptop.
All went well, took 2hr 23min to install, not bad, found the Telmex
Infinitum network with DHCP.
I took the defaults so now I am running Gnome.

The connection is thru a 2Wire wireless gateway that I have connected to
eth0, which you get when you subscribe to Telmex Infinitum, together
with the warning that they don't support Linux.

However...

Every minute these mesages appears on the active VT (and in syslog),
which screws up the fullscreen app like mc that you might be running there:

Jul 24 11:26:25 debian NetworkManager: <WARN>
nm_device_802_11_wireless_scan(): (wlan0): could not trigger wireless
scan: Network is down
Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.517971] input: b43-phy0 as
/class/input/input653
Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.576051] firmware: requesting
b43/ucode5.fw
Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591077] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware
file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591085] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must
go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
download the latest firmware (version 4).

How can I turn off those messages? Aside from messing with the firmware
on the laptop, which I am loathe to do because various people still use
it to access the unmentionable o/s.

Hugo

On Sb, 24 iul 10, 11:39:46, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.576051] firmware: requesting
> b43/ucode5.fw
> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591077] b43-phy0 ERROR:
> Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591085] b43-phy0 ERROR: You
> must go to
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
> download the latest firmware (version 4).

You probably just need to install the package b43-fwcutter (it's in
contrib).

> How can I turn off those messages? Aside from messing with the
> firmware on the laptop, which I am loathe to do because various
> people still use it to access the unmentionable o/s.

(why is it unmentionable?)

Firmware here does not mean the BIOS or similar stuff already present in
some ROMs inside the laptop. They are just some files with binary code
needed to activate and/or operate certain devices (the wireless card in
your case).

IIRC in this particular case the firmware files are actually extracted
from the Windows drivers.

Regards,
Andrei
Dne, 24. 07. 2010 18:51:39 je hugo vanwoerkom napisal(a):

> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591085] b43-phy0 ERROR: You
> must go to
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
> download the latest firmware (version 4).
>
> How can I turn off those messages? Aside from messing with the
> firmware on the laptop, which I am loathe to do because various
> people still use it to access the unmentionable o/s.

You won't be "messing with the firmware" on the laptop; despite its
name, the "firmware" is just a software file that gets loaded into the
.... uhm ... oh, well, somewhere.

If you're reluctant to do that, you could disable those messages in
various ways ...
For example, by disabling the wireless card in your BIOS, if such
option exists.
Or by disabling (or even uninstalling) Network Manager.
Or by configuring your wireless interface in /etc/network/interfaces in
such a way that NetworkManager won't mess with it (setting it to manual
or something along the line).
But there are surely many other ways, of which actually loading the
firmware is certainly not the worst ...

--
Good luck,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:16:52 +0200
Klistvud <quotations(a)aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> Dne, 24. 07. 2010 18:51:39 je hugo vanwoerkom napisal(a):
>
> > Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591085] b43-phy0 ERROR: You
> > must go to
> > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
> > download the latest firmware (version 4).
> >
> > How can I turn off those messages? Aside from messing with the
> > firmware on the laptop, which I am loathe to do because various
> > people still use it to access the unmentionable o/s.
> >

> You won't be "messing with the firmware" on the laptop; despite its
> name, the "firmware" is just a software file that gets loaded into the
> ... uhm ... oh, well, somewhere.
>
> If you're reluctant to do that, you could disable those messages in
> various ways ...
> For example, by disabling the wireless card in your BIOS, if such
> option exists.
> Or by disabling (or even uninstalling) Network Manager.
> Or by configuring your wireless interface in /etc/network/interfaces in
> such a way that NetworkManager won't mess with it (setting it to manual
> or something along the line).
> But there are surely many other ways, of which actually loading the
> firmware is certainly not the worst ...

Blacklist the module (b43 or similar).

Celejar

Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sb, 24 iul 10, 11:39:46, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
>
>> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.576051] firmware: requesting
>> b43/ucode5.fw
>> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591077] b43-phy0 ERROR:
>> Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
>> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591085] b43-phy0 ERROR: You
>> must go to
>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
>> download the latest firmware (version 4).
>
> You probably just need to install the package b43-fwcutter (it's in
> contrib).
>
>> How can I turn off those messages? Aside from messing with the
>> firmware on the laptop, which I am loathe to do because various
>> people still use it to access the unmentionable o/s.
>
> (why is it unmentionable?)
>
> Firmware here does not mean the BIOS or similar stuff already present in
> some ROMs inside the laptop. They are just some files with binary code
> needed to activate and/or operate certain devices (the wireless card in
> your case).
>
> IIRC in this particular case the firmware files are actually extracted
> from the Windows drivers.

Andrei, thanks, worked like a charm. Good info.
BTW how did you know that the package was b43-fwcutter?

Hugo