From: Jari Fredriksson on

I have an ancient domain, originally started with Red Hat 7.x. It is
running on latest Lenny now, and works fine, except..

Now I try to add a new server into the domain.

I found out that somehow I do not have "add machine script" in smb.cfg

So, I googled and found this:

/usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

Seems reasonable. But joining to the domain still does not work.

Trying locally smbpasswd

# smbpasswd -a -m lancaster$

Returns an error from useradd:

_samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/useradd -d
/var/lib/nobody -g 65534 -s /bin/false -M lancaster$' gave 2
Failed to add entry for user lancaster$.

I have tried modifying the command, but it always returns that syntax error.

I wonder if anyone happens to have a working command in a Debian Lenny
Samba configuration? Would be grateful for help.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

From: Jari Fredriksson on
On 4.3.2010 23:32, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> I have an ancient domain, originally started with Red Hat 7.x. It is
> running on latest Lenny now, and works fine, except..
>
> Now I try to add a new server into the domain.

Never mind, I got it.

/usr/sbin/useradd -c "Machine" -d /var/lib/nobody -g 65534 -s /bin/false %u

There was some extra option.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

We know all about the habits of the ant, we know all about the habits of the
bee, but we know nothing at all about the habits of the oyster. It seems
almost certain that we have been choosing the wrong time for studying the
oyster.

From: Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta on

On 04/03/10 17:02, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> I have an ancient domain, originally started with Red Hat 7.x. It is
> running on latest Lenny now, and works fine, except..
>
> Now I try to add a new server into the domain.
>
> I found out that somehow I do not have "add machine script" in smb.cfg
>
> So, I googled and found this:
>
> /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

Why not try to use smbldap-useradd and smbldap-* from smbldap-tools package?

"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-
On 5.3.2010 5:46, Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta wrote:

> On 04/03/10 17:02, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>> I have an ancient domain, originally started with Red Hat 7.x. It is
>> running on latest Lenny now, and works fine, except..
>>
>> Now I try to add a new server into the domain.
>>
>> I found out that somehow I do not have "add machine script" in smb.cfg
>>
>> So, I googled and found this:
>>
>> /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
>>
> Why not try to use smbldap-useradd and smbldap-* from smbldap-tools
> package?

I don't use LDAP. Those are LDAP-specific tools, right?

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You dialed 5483.