From: kamaraju kusumanchi on
On a Dell Precision T7400 machine running Debian Lenny (stable) with
2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel, I find that /proc/acpi/fan directory is empty.
Is there any package to install, module to load to populate this
directory?

The actual problem is like this:

Initially when the machine is rebooted it is very quiet.
Then if I run a large simulation (with heavy CPU laod) for a day or
so, the fan starts revving up to cool the CPU.
But when the simulation is stopped, the fan does not stop rotating
even after couple of hours. At this point, the load on the system is
minimal, but the fan does not stop rotating.
However, if I reboot the machine, the fan is quiet again. So, I am
guessing it is an acpi related issue.

The fan is very noisy when it rotates, so I would like to manually
stop the fan once in a while.

On 2010-03-30 14:04, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> On a Dell Precision T7400 machine running Debian Lenny (stable) with
> 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel, I find that /proc/acpi/fan directory is empty.
> Is there any package to install, module to load to populate this
> directory?

[snip]
> However, if I reboot the machine, the fan is quiet again. So, I am
> guessing it is an acpi related issue.

This returns some interesting results:

$ apt-cache search acpi fan

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:04:08 -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> On a Dell Precision T7400 machine running Debian Lenny (stable) with
> 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel, I find that /proc/acpi/fan directory is empty. Is
> there any package to install, module to load to populate this directory?

In fact, under some computers that directory is empty but in others I can
see there is fan info (on/off status)

"acpi -V" will display all available information.

> The actual problem is like this:
>
> Initially when the machine is rebooted it is very quiet. Then if I run a
> large simulation (with heavy CPU laod) for a day or so, the fan starts
> revving up to cool the CPU. But when the simulation is stopped, the fan
> does not stop rotating even after couple of hours. At this point, the
> load on the system is minimal, but the fan does not stop rotating.
> However, if I reboot the machine, the fan is quiet again. So, I am
> guessing it is an acpi related issue.
>
> The fan is very noisy when it rotates, so I would like to manually stop
> the fan once in a while.

There is an utility for Dell laptops (i8kutils) to handle this:

***
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/i8kutils

utilities for Dell Inspiron and Latitude laptops

This is a collection of utilities to control Dell Inspiron and Latitude
laptops. It includes programs to turn the fan on and off, to read fan
status, CPU temperature, BIOS version and to handle the volume buttons
and Fn-keys
***

But seems to be only available for 32-bits architecture :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón schreef:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:04:08 -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>
>> On a Dell Precision T7400 machine running Debian Lenny (stable) with
>> 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel, I find that /proc/acpi/fan directory is empty. Is
>> there any package to install, module to load to populate this directory?
>
> There is an utility for Dell laptops (i8kutils) to handle this:
>
> ***
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/i8kutils
>
> utilities for Dell Inspiron and Latitude laptops
>
> This is a collection of utilities to control Dell Inspiron and Latitude
> laptops. It includes programs to turn the fan on and off, to read fan
> status, CPU temperature, BIOS version and to handle the volume buttons
> and Fn-keys
> ***
>
> But seems to be only available for 32-bits architecture :-?
For the 64 bit version you can resort to squeeze:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i8kutils

Sjoerd