From: Carlos Mennens on
For Debian users is there a suggested and correct method for
installing nVidia drivers on their desktop systems? I was told by
other distributions I should only use their respected package manager
to use the nvidia drivers listed in their repository and avoid using
the binary I downloaded from nVidia's site because this would cause
problems. Do you have any suggestions about downloading the installer
direct from nVidia and installing it manually rather than using
'Apt-Get'?

Thanks for any info!

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Carlos Mennens <carloswill(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> For Debian users is there a suggested and correct method for
> installing nVidia drivers on their desktop systems? I was told by
> other distributions I should only use their respected package manager
> to use the nvidia drivers listed in their repository and avoid using
> the binary I downloaded from nVidia's site because this would cause
> problems. Do you have any suggestions about downloading the installer
> direct from nVidia and installing it manually rather than using
> 'Apt-Get'?
>
> Thanks for any info!

The nvidia installer from upstream will give you issues. In debian we
use module-assistant to install things such as this. You can find a
detailed guide specific to nvidia drivers here:
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

--
Jordan Metzmeier

On 2010-03-30 10:10, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Carlos Mennens <carloswill(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> For Debian users is there a suggested and correct method for
>> installing nVidia drivers on their desktop systems? I was told by
>> other distributions I should only use their respected package manager
>> to use the nvidia drivers listed in their repository and avoid using
>> the binary I downloaded from nVidia's site because this would cause
>> problems. Do you have any suggestions about downloading the installer
>> direct from nVidia and installing it manually rather than using
>> 'Apt-Get'?
>>
>> Thanks for any info!
>>

> The nvidia installer from upstream will give you issues. In debian we
> use module-assistant to install things such as this. You can find a
> detailed guide specific to nvidia drivers here:
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Hmph.

I've been installing upstream for *years* with absolutely no
problems. Nowadays, I even install a "split" driver on my 32-bit
distro with 64-bit kernel.

Note that I run Sid and compile my own kernel *from Debian sources*.

The only caveat is that every time mesa gets updated, I must go into
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/ and rename libglx.so then symlink
libglx.so.NNN.MM to libglx.so.

Final note: I boot straight to the console, Like God Intended, so
it's much simpler for me to muck around.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Jordan Metzmeier <titan8990(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The nvidia installer from upstream will give you issues. In debian we
> use module-assistant to install things such as this. You can find a
> detailed guide specific to nvidia drivers here:
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

I guess I am not familar with upstream. Is that the same as Squeeze /
Sid? I basically am just wondering if it's safe to manually install
the drivers myself from nVidia's site.

On Tuesday 30 March 2010 20:26:15 Carlos Mennens wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Jordan Metzmeier <titan8990(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> > The nvidia installer from upstream will give you issues.
> > [snip]
>
> I guess I am not familar with upstream. Is that the same as Squeeze /
> Sid? I basically am just wondering if it's safe to manually install
>

> the drivers myself from nVidia's site.

This is basically what Jordan means by "upstream" in this context - the
drivers supplied by nVidia. Note that Jordan's advice is contradicted by
Ron. "You pays your money and you takes your choice." ;-)

HTH
Lisi