From: Long Wind on
I have etch and HP VL420
It runs P4 1.6G
but BIOS can't show CPU temperature and fan speed
so I download a bios from motherboard maker ASUS
but can't update bios
then I install lm-sensor in etch
but reading data seems incorrect
Can you help???

#include <hallo.h>
* Long Wind [Sun, Apr 18 2010, 01:24:09AM]:
> I have etch and HP VL420
> It runs P4 1.6G
> but BIOS can't show CPU temperature and fan speed
> so I download a bios from motherboard maker ASUS
> but can't update bios
> then I install lm-sensor in etch
> but reading data seems incorrect
> Can you help???

If the kernel is fresh enough and ships with all required modules then
you need to run sensors-detect as root. It should detect suitable
drivers and load the modules. It would also ask you to add the list to
/etc/modules which you should confirm unless you want to run the
detection again after reboot.

Regards,
Eduard.

--
<Myon> TV ist Zeitverschwendung
* micsch muss auch nochmal seine TV-Karte einbauen

The sensors command shows 0 rpm all the time!
Thank Eduard anyway!

Of course, if the hardware isn't capable of detecting temperature (eg
hardware sensors), you're pretty much out of luck.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:33:38 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> The sensors command shows 0 rpm all the time! Thank Eduard anyway!

Read "carefully" what Eduard said :-)

You have to run "sensors-detect" as root that will ask you some questions
and provide more info about the suitable modules you need to load for
your board (Intel 845 chipset, an old one, which probably uses ISA bus
rather than SMBus).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón