From: Stephen Powell on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:51:06 -0500 (EST), George Sullivan wrote:
> New Screen section looks like:
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Same results. xorg won't start and I get the Fatal server error.

See http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm#ConfigX for an
example of a working /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in Lenny.
Don't copy it verbatim, of course, since there are differences.
For one thing, your driver is radeon and mine is neomagic.
I'd delete the chipset line and let it autodetect the chipset.
And the busid is probably different too. Delete that.
The screen section has other stuff in it too. Based on the
amount of video RAM you have, set the default depth and
define the resolutions you want to be able to use.

The open source radeon drivers should work without a xorg.conf. Try
moving the xorg.conf and running xserver without one. If you are
finding that without a xorg.conf it attempts to load radeon, fails,
then falls back to vesa you could be looking at an issue of
incompatibility.

--
Jordan Metzmeier

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:21:18 -0500 (EST), Jordan Metzmeier wrote:

> The open source radeon drivers should work without a xorg.conf. Try
> moving the xorg.conf and running xserver without one. If you are
> finding that without a xorg.conf it attempts to load radeon, fails,
> then falls back to vesa you could be looking at an issue of
> incompatibility.

According to the original post, it worked but did not use the maximum
resolution available when run without an xorg.conf. The only way
I know to fix that is to create an xorg.conf that defines things
the way he wants them.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:21:18 -0500 (EST), Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
>>
>> The open source radeon drivers should work without a xorg.conf. Try
>> moving the xorg.conf and running xserver without one. If you are
>> finding that without a xorg.conf it attempts to load radeon, fails,
>> then falls back to vesa you could be looking at an issue of
>> incompatibility.
>
> According to the original post, it worked but did not use the maximum
> resolution available when run without an xorg.conf.  The only way
> I know to fix that is to create an xorg.conf that defines things
> the way he wants them.
>

>From my experience, the resolution issue is usually a side-effect of
xorg falling back to vesa. xrandr can be used to adjust to resolution
if it is not automatically configured to the proper setting.

--
Jordan Metzmeier

Hey,

Maybe try setting up the drivers with sgfxi?

http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html

Regards,

Angus.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last