From: Merciadri Luca on
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Well, if you need Adobe Acrobat Reader, complain to Adobe that it's
> slow and hope they fix it.
But I find it special that it does not go faster. Adobe wants everybody
to use its client. Then, why don't they make something more valuable?
Habitually, if you want something to look interesting to other's eyes,
you try to make it as much attractive as possible.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Ron Johnson on
On 05/29/2010 01:47 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I sometimes have really long documents (>4000 p) for specs., or for
> other purely technical stuff. I sometimes look for a given model, or for
> a given word. The fact is that acroread reads ~8 pg/s, and, thus, if I
> do not know that my keyword is simply at the last page of the document,
> it takes 500s ~8 minutes and a half. How can I speed it up? Why is it so
> sluggish? Do not tell me that it is limited by R/W access on the HDD...

A different solution would be to open it in OOo Writer (I've tried
it with v3.2 from Sid). I just tried it on a 125 page laptop
Owner's Manual. Took about 10 minutes to convert. The results were
passable and I could save it in ODT format.

For as huge a document as you have, probably the wise thing to do
would be to add some sort *files* (see "man mkswap") and start the
task on Friday night. If that blows up on you, pdftk can split
files into smaller chunks.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

[No need for CC, I'm subscribed to the list]

On 05/30/2010 11:01 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>
>> Well, if you need Adobe Acrobat Reader, complain to Adobe that it's
>> slow and hope they fix it.
>>
> But I find it special that it does not go faster. Adobe wants everybody
> to use its client. Then, why don't they make something more valuable?
> Habitually, if you want something to look interesting to other's eyes,
> you try to make it as much attractive as possible.

Surprising as it may seem, maybe they never noticed that. (It is not the
average pdf file or the average use). Or since nobody complained, they
focused on other things.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

On 05/30/2010 10:13 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/29/2010 01:47 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I sometimes have really long documents (>4000 p) for specs., or for
>> other purely technical stuff. I sometimes look for a given model, or for
>> a given word. The fact is that acroread reads ~8 pg/s, and, thus, if I
>> do not know that my keyword is simply at the last page of the document,
>> it takes 500s ~8 minutes and a half. How can I speed it up? Why is it so
>> sluggish? Do not tell me that it is limited by R/W access on the HDD...
>>

> A different solution would be to open it in OOo Writer (I've tried it
> with v3.2 from Sid). I just tried it on a 125 page laptop Owner's
> Manual. Took about 10 minutes to convert. The results were passable and
> I could save it in ODT format.

Scratch that. What OOo really does is convert it to ODG.

(I wrote what I wrote in anticipation of it completing, and clicked
Send instead of Close.)

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Okay. I take account of it.