From: Merciadri Luca on
Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/29/2010 01:47 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I sometimes have really long documents (>4000 p) for specs., or for
>> other purely technical stuff. I sometimes look for a given model, or for
>> a given word. The fact is that acroread reads ~8 pg/s, and, thus, if I
>> do not know that my keyword is simply at the last page of the document,
>> it takes 500s ~8 minutes and a half. How can I speed it up? Why is it so
>> sluggish? Do not tell me that it is limited by R/W access on the HDD...
>>

> A different solution would be to open it in OOo Writer (I've tried it
> with v3.2 from Sid). I just tried it on a 125 page laptop Owner's
> Manual. Took about 10 minutes to convert. The results were passable
> and I could save it in ODT format.
>
> For as huge a document as you have, probably the wise thing to do
> would be to add some sort *files* (see "man mkswap") and start the
> task on Friday night. If that blows up on you, pdftk can split files
> into smaller chunks.

Okay. I'll try it too. Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Don't fall before you're pushed.

From: Celejar on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 20:47:52 +0200
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I sometimes have really long documents (>4000 p) for specs., or for
> other purely technical stuff. I sometimes look for a given model, or for
> a given word. The fact is that acroread reads ~8 pg/s, and, thus, if I
> do not know that my keyword is simply at the last page of the document,
> it takes 500s ~8 minutes and a half. How can I speed it up? Why is it so
> sluggish? Do not tell me that it is limited by R/W access on the HDD...

Don't know how useful it is, but I recently noticed that pdfgrep has
been added to Sid:

$ apt-cache show pdfgrep
Package: pdfgrep

Pdfgrep is a tool to search text in PDF files. It works similar to
`grep'.
.
Features:
- search for regular expressions.
- support for some important grep options, including:
+ filename output.
+ page number output.
+ optional case insensitivity.
+ count occurrences.
- and the most important feature: color output!
Homepage: http://pdfgrep.sourceforge.net/>

Celejar

Merciadri Luca writes:
> But I find it special that it does not go faster. Adobe wants everybody
> to use its client.

No. They want everybody who creates "content" to buy Acrobat. Giving
away Acroread is just part of the marketing thereof.

> Then, why don't they make something more valuable?

Incompetence?

> Habitually, if you want something to look interesting to other's eyes,
> you try to make it as much attractive as possible.

And so they market it heavily. Thus the Web sites that say "To read
this you need Acroread", not "To read this you need a PDF viewer".
--
John Hasler

John Hasler wrote:
> Merciadri Luca writes:
>
>> But I find it special that it does not go faster. Adobe wants everybody
>> to use its client.
>>

> No. They want everybody who creates "content" to buy Acrobat. Giving
> away Acroread is just part of the marketing thereof.

You're right.

>> Then, why don't they make something more valuable?
>>

> Incompetence?
>

>> Habitually, if you want something to look interesting to other's eyes,
>> you try to make it as much attractive as possible.
>>

> And so they market it heavily. Thus the Web sites that say "To read
> this you need Acroread", not "To read this you need a PDF viewer".

So true. You're more lucid than me.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Stefan Monnier on
> And so they market it heavily. Thus the Web sites that say "To read
> this you need Acroread", not "To read this you need a PDF viewer".

I try to complain to each one of those websites about the fact that
their site is factually wrong. I encourage every supporter of Free
Software or Open Source software to do likewise.

Stefan