From: Virgil on
In article <Hv2dnXQ7LtSxUIPWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
"K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> wrote:

> "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter(a)cwi.nl> wrote in message

> > > Question. Isn't this simply a question of language?
> >
> > Not at all. When you define N as an infinite union there
> > is no limit
> > involved, there is even no sequence involved. N follows
> > immediately
> > from the axioms.
>
> I disagree. Please note that I am not endorsing many of
> WM's claims. There are many equivalent ways of defining N.
> I have seen the definition that Rucker uses, in his infinity
> and mind book, in a number of books on mathematics and set
> theory: On page 240 of his book he defines:
>
> a_(n+1) = a_n Union {a_n}
>
> and then:
>
> a = limit a_n.
>
> He writes "...that is, lim a_n is obtained by taking the
> union of all the sets a_n". The text book I have on set
> theory defines N as the intersection of all inductive
> subsets of any inductive set. So clearly there are many
> equivalent approaches to defining N. In Rucker's approach,
> we could define N as a limit:
>
> a_0 = {} //Zeroth member is the empty set.
>
> a_(n+1) = a_n Union {a_n}
>
> and then:
>
> N = limit a_n.
>
> My text book on set theory also explicitly states that we
> can have a limit of a set of ordinals, for example: "...the
> phase successor ordinal for an ordinal which is a successor
> and limit ordinal for an ordinal which is a limit". In
> fact, one of the problem sets is to prove the
> bi-conditional: If X is a limit ordinal then UX=X (U is
> union) and if UX=X then X is a limit ordinal.
>
> > > My
> > > book on set theory defines omega, w, as follows:
> > >
> > > Define w to be the set N of natural numbers with its
> > > usual order
> > > < (given by membership in ZF).
> > >
> > > Now w is a limit ordinal so the ordered set N is, in the
> > > ordinal sense, a limit. Of course w is not a member of
> > > becasuse then N would be a member of itself (not allowed
> > > by
> > > foundation).
> >
> > Note here that N (the set of natural numbers) is *not*
> > defined using a
> > limit at all. That w is called a limit ordinal is a
> > definition of the
> > term "limit ordinal". It does not mean that the
> > definition you use to
> > define it actually uses a limit. (And if I remember
> > right, a limit
> > ordinal is an ordinal that has no predecessor, see, again
> > no limit
> > involved.)
>
> N can be defined as a limit or not as a limit. These are
> really equivalent approaches.

In ZF, unions are defined only for sets of sets and for such a set of
sets S, the union is defined a the set of all elements of elements of S.

Unless some other definition replaces this one, it is impossible to form
the union of a family of sets unless that family are already the
members of a set.

In which case, N cannot be defined as the limit you suggest, as it would
have to exist before it exists.
From: K_h on

"Virgil" <Virgil(a)home.esc> wrote in message
> In article
> <Hv2dnXQ7LtSxUIPWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> "K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> wrote:
>
>> "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter(a)cwi.nl> wrote in message
>> > In article
>> > <yvCdnW28VrXBqIXWnZ2dnUVZ_s-dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>

>> > Not at all. When you define N as an infinite union
>> > there
>> > is no limit
>> > involved, there is even no sequence involved. N
>> > follows
>> > immediately
>> > from the axioms.
>>
>> I disagree. Please note that I am not endorsing many of
>> WM's claims. There are many equivalent ways of defining
>> N.
>> I have seen the definition that Rucker uses, in his
>> infinity
>> and mind book, in a number of books on mathematics and
>> set
>> theory: On page 240 of his book he defines:
>>
>> a_(n+1) = a_n Union {a_n}
>>
>> and then:
>>
>> a = limit a_n.
>>
>> He writes "...that is, lim a_n is obtained by taking the
>> union of all the sets a_n". The text book I have on set
>> theory defines N as the intersection of all inductive
>> subsets of any inductive set. So clearly there are many
>> equivalent approaches to defining N. In Rucker's
>> approach,
>> we could define N as a limit:
>>
>> a_0 = {} //Zeroth member is the empty set.
>>
>> a_(n+1) = a_n Union {a_n}
>>
>> and then:
>>
>> N = limit a_n.
>>
>> My text book on set theory also explicitly states that we
>> can have a limit of a set of ordinals, for example:
>> "...the
>> phase successor ordinal for an ordinal which is a
>> successor
>> and limit ordinal for an ordinal which is a limit". In
>> fact, one of the problem sets is to prove the
>> bi-conditional: If X is a limit ordinal then UX=X (U is
>> union) and if UX=X then X is a limit ordinal.

>> > Note here that N (the set of natural numbers) is *not*
>> > defined using a
>> > limit at all. That w is called a limit ordinal is a
>> > definition of the
>> > term "limit ordinal". It does not mean that the
>> > definition you use to
>> > define it actually uses a limit. (And if I remember
>> > right, a limit
>> > ordinal is an ordinal that has no predecessor, see,
>> > again
>> > no limit
>> > involved.)
>>
>> N can be defined as a limit or not as a limit. These are
>> really equivalent approaches.
>
> In ZF, unions are defined only for sets of sets and for
> such a set of
> sets S, the union is defined a the set of all elements of
> elements of S.

Check out:
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/SequenceOfSetsConvergence.html

> Unless some other definition replaces this one, it is
> impossible to form
> the union of a family of sets unless that family are
> already the
> members of a set.
>
> In which case, N cannot be defined as the limit you
> suggest, as it would
> have to exist before it exists.

Here is one way to define N as a limit.

- Given a set x, the successor of x is the set x'=xU{x}.

- A set y is inductive if x' is in y whenever x is in y.

- Given an initial set x, the inductive set comprised of the
successors of x is called a limit set of the sequence of
sets x'=xU{x}, x''=x'U{x'}, ... .

- Let N be the limit set formed from the initial set {}.

In this case N is a convergent set:

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/SequenceOfSetsConvergence.html

It should be pointed out that N is a limit set even if N is
initially given by a definition that doesn't involve the
notion of a limit. Here is another way to see that N is a
limit even if you consider it bad taste to define it in
those terms:

Let \/ = union

Let /\ = Intersection

Define infimum and supremum as follows:

liminf X_n=\/(n=0, oo)[/\(m=n, oo) X_m]
(n-->oo)

limsup X_n=/\(n=0, oo)[\/(m=n, oo) X_m]
(n-->oo)

If these two are the same then the limit exists and is both
of them. So, let's consider the naturals:

X_0 = 0 = {}
X_1 = 1 = {0}
X_2 = 2 = {0,1}
X_3 = 3 = {0,1,2}
X_4 = 4 = {0,1,2,3}
X_5 = 5 = {0,1,2,3,4}

Evaluate the liminf case:

/\(m=0, oo) X_m = X_0 /\ X_1 /\ X_2 ...

= {} /\ {0} /\ {0,1} /\ {0,1,2} /\ ...
= {}

/\(m=1, oo) X_m = X_1 /\ X_2 /\ X_3 ...

= {0} /\ {0,1} /\ {0,1,2} /\ ...
= {0}

/\(m=2, oo) X_m = X_2 /\ X_3 /\ X_4 ...

= {0,1} /\ {0,1,2} /\ {0,1,2,3} /\ ...
= {0,1}

etc. Now, we \/(n=0, oo) to union all these together and we
get N:

\/(n=0, oo) = {} \/ {0} \/ {0,1} \/ ...
\/(n=0, oo) = {0,1,2,3,...}
\/(n=0, oo) = N

Next, evaluate the limsup case:

\/(m=0, oo) X_m = X_0 \/ X_1 \/ X_2 ...

= {} \/ {0} \/ {0,1} \/ {0,1,2} \/ ...
= {0,1,2,3,...}
= N

\/(m=1, oo) X_m = X_1 \/ X_2 \/ X_3 ...

= {0} \/ {0,1} \/ {0,1,2} \/ ...
= {0,1,2,3,...}
= N

\/(m=2, oo) X_m = X_2 \/ X_3 \/ X_4 ...

= {0,1} \/ {0,1,2} \/ {0,1,2,3} ...
= {0,1,2,3,...}
= N

etc. Now, we /\(n=0, oo) intersect all of these to get:

/\(n=0, oo) = N /\ N /\ N /\ ...
/\(n=0, oo) = N

Limsup and liminf both give N and so the limit is N.

From: Virgil on
In article <c8idnc6JG6hv34LWnZ2dnUVZ_q-dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
"K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> wrote:

> "Virgil" <Virgil(a)home.esc> wrote in message
> > In article
> > <Hv2dnXQ7LtSxUIPWnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> > "K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter(a)cwi.nl> wrote in message

> >> I disagree. Please note that I am not endorsing many of
> >> WM's claims. There are many equivalent ways of defining
> >> N.
> >> I have seen the definition that Rucker uses, in his
> >> infinity
> >> and mind book, in a number of books on mathematics and
> >> set
> >> theory: On page 240 of his book he defines:
> >>
> >> a_(n+1) = a_n Union {a_n}
> >>
> >> and then:
> >>
> >> a = limit a_n.
> >>
> >> He writes "...that is, lim a_n is obtained by taking the
> >> union of all the sets a_n". The text book I have on set
> >> theory defines N as the intersection of all inductive
> >> subsets of any inductive set. So clearly there are many
> >> equivalent approaches to defining N. In Rucker's
> >> approach,
> >> we could define N as a limit:
> >>
> >> a_0 = {} //Zeroth member is the empty set.
> >>
> >> a_(n+1) = a_n Union {a_n}
> >>
> >> and then:
> >>
> >> N = limit a_n.
> >>
> >> My text book on set theory also explicitly states that we
> >> can have a limit of a set of ordinals, for example:
> >> "...the
> >> phase successor ordinal for an ordinal which is a
> >> successor
> >> and limit ordinal for an ordinal which is a limit". In
> >> fact, one of the problem sets is to prove the
> >> bi-conditional: If X is a limit ordinal then UX=X (U is
> >> union) and if UX=X then X is a limit ordinal.

> >> N can be defined as a limit or not as a limit. These are
> >> really equivalent approaches.
> >
> > In ZF, unions are defined only for sets of sets and for
> > such a set of
> > sets S, the union is defined a the set of all elements of
> > elements of S.
>
> Check out:
> http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/SequenceOfSetsConvergence.html
>
> > Unless some other definition replaces this one, it is
> > impossible to form
> > the union of a family of sets unless that family are
> > already the
> > members of a set.
> >
> > In which case, N cannot be defined as the limit you
> > suggest, as it would
> > have to exist before it exists.
>
> Here is one way to define N as a limit.
>
> - Given a set x, the successor of x is the set x'=xU{x}.
>
> - A set y is inductive if x' is in y whenever x is in y.
>
> - Given an initial set x, the inductive set comprised of the
> successors of x is called a limit set of the sequence of
> sets x'=xU{x}, x''=x'U{x'}, ... .

It is the set of all of them, if that is what you mean by union

> - Let N be the limit set formed from the initial set {}.
>
> In this case N is a convergent set:
>
> http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/SequenceOfSetsConvergence.html

However, in the discussion between Dik and WM, Dik gave SPECIFIC
definition of what HE meant by the limit of a seqeunce of sets which
differed from that in your citation.

> It should be pointed out that N is a limit set even if N is
> initially given by a definition that doesn't involve the
> notion of a limit.

The issue between Dik and WM is whether the limit of a sequence of sets
according to Dik's definition of such limits is necessarily the same as
the limit of the sequence of cardinalities for those sets.

And Dik quire successfully gave an example in which the limits differ.

Here is another way to see that N is a
> limit even if you consider it bad taste to define it in
> those terms:
>
> Let \/ = union
>
> Let /\ = Intersection
>
> Define infimum and supremum as follows:
>
> liminf X_n=\/(n=0, oo)[/\(m=n, oo) X_m]
> (n-->oo)
>
> limsup X_n=/\(n=0, oo)[\/(m=n, oo) X_m]
> (n-->oo)
>
> If these two are the same then the limit exists and is both
> of them.

The issue is not whether the naturals are such a limit but whether for
every so defined limit the cardinality of the limit equals the limit
cardinality of their cardinalities, which is different sort of limit.
From: WM on
On 9 Dez., 08:35, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> In article <c8idnc6JG6hv34LWnZ2dnUVZ_q-dn...(a)giganews.com>,

> However, in the discussion between Dik and WM, Dik gave SPECIFIC
> definition of what HE meant by the limit of a seqeunce of sets which
> differed from that in your citation.

Dik:
Given a sequence of sets S_n then:
lim sup{n -> oo} S_n contains those elements that occur in
infinitely
many S_n
lim inf{n -> oo} S_n contains those elements that occur in all S_n
from
a certain S_n (which can be different for each
element).
lim{n -> oo} S_n exists whenever lim sup and lim inf are equal.

> > Define infimum and supremum as follows:
>
> > liminf X_n=\/(n=0, oo)[/\(m=n, oo) X_m]
> > (n-->oo)
>
> > limsup X_n=/\(n=0, oo)[\/(m=n, oo) X_m]
> > (n-->oo)
>
> > If these two are the same then the limit exists and is both
> > of them.
>
> The issue is not whether the naturals are such a limit but whether for
> every so defined limit the cardinality of the limit equals the limit
> cardinality of their cardinalities, which is different sort of limit

If the limit set emerges continuously (i.e. growing one-by-one) from
the sets of the sequence, then the cardinality will be bound to this
process and will also continuously emerge from the cardinalities of
the sets of the sequence.

If there is a gap in one sequence and no gap in the other, then this
indicates that at least one of the limits does not exist, probably
both do not exist.

This has been substanciated by the following thought-experiment:
If N is generated as a limit, then it is generated by adding number
after number.
When using an intermediate reservoir, as shown in my lesson
http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~mueckenh/GU/GU12.PPT#394,22,Folie 22
it becomes clear that N cannot be generated by adding number after
number.

Therefore neither N nor Card(N) are meaningful concepts - at least not
in mathematics.

Regards, WM
From: Virgil on
In article
<b6fe23bb-f753-4cfc-a9d6-79711f3a1e5d(a)r40g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 9 Dez., 08:35, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> > In article <c8idnc6JG6hv34LWnZ2dnUVZ_q-dn...(a)giganews.com>,
>

> > However, in the discussion between Dik and WM, Dik gave SPECIFIC
> > definition of what HE meant by the limit of a seqeunce of sets which
> > differed from that in your citation.
>
> Dik:
> Given a sequence of sets S_n then:
> lim sup{n -> oo} S_n contains those elements that occur in
> infinitely
> many S_n
> lim inf{n -> oo} S_n contains those elements that occur in all S_n
> from
> a certain S_n (which can be different for each
> element).
> lim{n -> oo} S_n exists whenever lim sup and lim inf are equal.
> >
> > > Define infimum and supremum as follows:
> >
> > > liminf X_n=\/(n=0, oo)[/\(m=n, oo) X_m]
> > > (n-->oo)
> >
> > > limsup X_n=/\(n=0, oo)[\/(m=n, oo) X_m]
> > > (n-->oo)
> >
> > > If these two are the same then the limit exists and is both
> > > of them.
> >
> > The issue is not whether the naturals are such a limit but whether for
> > every so defined limit the cardinality of the limit equals the limit
> > cardinality of their cardinalities, which is different sort of limit
>
> If the limit set emerges continuously (i.e. growing one-by-one) from
> the sets of the sequence, then the cardinality will be bound to this
> process and will also continuously emerge from the cardinalities of
> the sets of the sequence.
>
> If there is a gap in one sequence and no gap in the other, then this
> indicates that at least one of the limits does not exist, probably
> both do not exist.
>
> This has been substanciated by the following thought-experiment:
> If N is generated as a limit, then it is generated by adding number
> after number.
> When using an intermediate reservoir, as shown in my lesson
> http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~mueckenh/GU/GU12.PPT#394,22,Folie 22
> it becomes clear that N cannot be generated by adding number after
> number.

Since WM's supposed 'lessons' are only valid in Wolkenmuekenheim, if
even there, that is irrelevant.

> Therefore neither N nor Card(N) are meaningful concepts - at least not
> in mathematics.

They are in most of the mathematics outside of Wolkenmuekenheim.

WM's attempts to impose his personal worldview on the world again fails.

The only place it has any chance is with those naive captive audiences
of students in his classrooms.