From: K_h on

"Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote in message
> "K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> writes:
>
>> "Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote in message
>>> "K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> writes:
>>>

>> So, you're claiming that he is not using { and } just to
>> bracket the argument (i.e. the X_n to be limited) but
>> {X_n}
>> refers to a set containing the one set X_n.
>
> Er, yes. Though, something seems to be wrong with your
> notation. At
> issue is the set X_n = {n}, not the set {X_n}.
>
> In summary:
>
> |lim X_n| = |lim {n}| = |{}| = 0.
>
> lim |X_n| = lim |{n}| = lim 1 = 1.
>
>> Then it seems like the meaning has changed because in
>> he writes that lim|S_n|=/=|limS_n| follows from a
>> wikipedia
>> definition applied to sequences of natural numbers n --
>> not to the
>> non-naturals {n}. For example:

>> sets. With that
>> sequences of natural
>> is
>> not necessarily
>
> And that's absolutely correct, as we see above.

Only if the sequences were of the non-naturals {n} not
sequences of the naturals n.

>> Okay, if {X_n} refers to a set containing the single set
>> X_n
>> then lim(n-->oo){n} is not a limit of the natural numbers
>> since the naturals are not the sets {n} but the sets n.
>
> Er, yes. Of course.
>
>> In this case my proof shows that lim(n-->oo)n=N.
>> Applying the
>> wikipedia definitions to n is sensible but applying them
>> to {n}
>> makes a mockery of the notion of a limit.
>
> You have some very odd notions yourself. It's a simple
> application of
> a perfectly sensible definition of limit.

It violates the spirit of what a limit is in some cases.
So, although it is sensible, it is not perfectly sensible.

>> The basic idea behind a limit is that things in one state
>> tend to
>> some final state and a good definition and application of
>> a limit
>> should embody that. In looking at the sequence {n}, with
>> 0={} and
>> 1={0}, saying that it tends to 0={} is a betrayal of the
>> core idea
>> behind a limit:
>>
>> 1, {{0}}, {{0,1}}, {{0,1,2}}, {{0,1,2,3}}, ... --> 0
>>
>> The basic idea of what a limit is suggests that an
>> appropriate definition for lim(n-->oo){n} should yield
>> lim(n-->oo){n}={N}:
>>
>> {}, {{0}}, {{0,1}}, {{0,1,2}}, {{0,1,2,3}}, ... -->
>> {{0,1,2,3,4,...}}
>>
>> In other words, applying the wikipedia definitions to {n}
>> is
>> an abuse of those definitions. The definition that is
>> used
>> for a limit should make sense for the kind of object it
>> is
>> applied to.
>
> You're welcome to your own cockamamie opinions about
> whether a
> particular definition is sensible or not, but they're
> utterly
> irrelevant to the issue at hand. The fact is that with
> this
> *perfectly standard* definition of limits, we see that
>
> lim |X_n| != |lim X_n|.
>
> That's all there was at issue.

The sensibility of a definition is the real issue. Applying
the so-called standard definitions to {n} leads to a
cockamamie limit which is at odds with the general notion of
a limit. For a better definition, first choose one of the
wikipedia definitions. If a sequence of sets, A_n, cannot
be expressed as {X_n}, for some sequence of sets X_n, then
lim(n-->oo)A_n is defined by the wikipedia limit. Otherwise
let L=lim(n-->oo)X_n be the specified wikipedia limit for
X_n. If L exists then:

lim(n-->oo)A_n = lim(n-->oo){X_n} = {L}

otherwise lim(n-->oo)A_n = lim(n-->oo){X_n} does not exist.
Under this definition lim(n-->oo){n}={N} and
|lim(n-->oo){n}|=lim(n-->oo)|{n}|=1. Even this definition
can be improved. In the spirit of what a good definition of
a limit should be, we should require that, for example,
lim(n-->oo){n,n,n}={N,N,N}. This can be done by a simple
generalization: if a sequence of sets A_n cannot be
expressed as {X_n,Y_n,Z_n,...}, for one or more arguments,
then lim(n-->oo)A_n is defined by the specified wikipedia
limit. Otherwise let L=lim(n-->oo)X_n, K=lim(n-->oo)Y_n,
J=lim(n-->oo)Z_n, ... be the specified wikipedia limits for
X_n, Y_n, Z_n, ... . If L, K, J, .. all exist then:

lim(n-->oo)A_n = lim(n-->oo){X_n,Y_n,Z_n,...} = {L,K,J,...}

otherwise lim(n-->oo)A_n does not exist. Viewers of this
thread may want to see if there is a way to generalize
and/or improve this definition further. A good definition
should always seek to capture the essence of the notion it
is defining.

From: Jesse F. Hughes on
"K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> writes:

> It violates the spirit of what a limit is in some cases. So,
> although it is sensible, it is not perfectly sensible.

Yeah, the discrete topology is different than other topologies.

But the standard topology on N is the discrete topology, too! Thus,
the standard definition of sequence convergence on N is inherited via
the subspace topology from Set. That is, a sequence
{a_n | n in N} c N converges (in N) to m iff

(E k)(A j > k) a_j = m.

This is (unless I'm just butt-wrong) the same as the definition of
sequence convergence on Set restricted to the subspace N.

So it seems to me that you either dislike the discrete topology (which
is certainly a bit odd) or you just dislike the discrete topology on
Set. The latter opinion is a bit odd, too.

--
"[Criticizing JSH's mathematics will result in] one of the worst debacles in
the history of the world. It is foretold in most mythologies and religions.
From: Jesse F. Hughes on
"Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> writes:

> "K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> writes:
>
>> It violates the spirit of what a limit is in some cases. So,
>> although it is sensible, it is not perfectly sensible.
>
> Yeah, the discrete topology is different than other topologies.
>
> But the standard topology on N is the discrete topology, too! Thus,
> the standard definition of sequence convergence on N is inherited via
> the subspace topology from Set. That is, a sequence
> {a_n | n in N} c N converges (in N) to m iff
>
> (E k)(A j > k) a_j = m.
>
> This is (unless I'm just butt-wrong) the same as the definition of
> sequence convergence on Set restricted to the subspace N.

Yeah, well, I am just butt-wrong, ain't I?

I was confusing the discrete space of Set with what the Wikipedia
article calls "general set convergence".

My mistake.

--
Jesse F. Hughes

"You know that view most people have of mathematicians as brilliant
people? What if they're not?" -- James S. Harris
From: Dik T. Winter on
In article <k9mdnWn11pFIAbjWnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com> "K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> writes:
> "Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote in message
> > And that's absolutely correct, as we see above.
>
> Only if the sequences were of the non-naturals {n} not
> sequences of the naturals n.

Eh? The definitions I gave (and which you can find at the wikipedia page
I referred to was about the limit of a sequence of sets.

> > You have some very odd notions yourself. It's a simple
> > application of
> > a perfectly sensible definition of limit.
>
> It violates the spirit of what a limit is in some cases.
> So, although it is sensible, it is not perfectly sensible.

Oh. So give us a definition of limit such that
lim(n->oo) {n} = N
that is sensible (note: a limit of *sets*).

> >> The basic idea of what a limit is suggests that an
> >> appropriate definition for lim(n-->oo){n} should yield
> >> lim(n-->oo){n}={N}:
> >>
> >> {}, {{0}}, {{0,1}}, {{0,1,2}}, {{0,1,2,3}}, ... -->
> >> {{0,1,2,3,4,...}}

Why? (And the first should be {{}}.) But by what definition would that
be valid? (And I ask about the limit of a sequence of *sets*.) What you
are confusing is the limit of a setquence of sets and the limit of the
elements of a sequence of sets.

> The sensibility of a definition is the real issue. Applying
> the so-called standard definitions to {n} leads to a
> cockamamie limit which is at odds with the general notion of
> a limit.

It is not.

> For a better definition, first choose one of the
> wikipedia definitions.

lim sup of the sequence S_0, S_1, ... consists of those elements that
are element of infinitely many S_k.
lim inf of the sequence S_0, S_1, ... consiste of those elements that
are element of all S_k after some k0.
lim exists if lim inf equals lim sup.

> If a sequence of sets, A_n, cannot
> be expressed as {X_n}, for some sequence of sets X_n, then
> lim(n-->oo)A_n is defined by the wikipedia limit.

This makes no sense to me.

> Otherwise
> let L=lim(n-->oo)X_n be the specified wikipedia limit for
> X_n. If L exists then:

So you wish to use different definitions of limits depending on what
the sequence of sets actually is?

> lim(n-->oo)A_n = lim(n-->oo){X_n} = {L}
>
> otherwise lim(n-->oo)A_n = lim(n-->oo){X_n} does not exist.
> Under this definition lim(n-->oo){n}={N} and
> |lim(n-->oo){n}|=lim(n-->oo)|{n}|=1. Even this definition
> can be improved. In the spirit of what a good definition of
> a limit should be, we should require that, for example,
> lim(n-->oo){n,n,n}={N,N,N}.

Eh? This is not a limit of sets but a limit of multisets.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
From: Dik T. Winter on
In article <k9mdnWn11pFIAbjWnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com> "K_h" <KHolmes(a)SX729.com> writes:

Let's see whether I do understand what you want:
> The sensibility of a definition is the real issue. Applying
> the so-called standard definitions to {n} leads to a
> cockamamie limit which is at odds with the general notion of
> a limit.

That is your opinion.

> For a better definition, first choose one of the
> wikipedia definitions.

We better choose a definition that fits, let's take the definition for
sets with discrete metric on the elements.

> If a sequence of sets, A_n, cannot
> be expressed as {X_n}, for some sequence of sets X_n, then
> lim(n-->oo)A_n is defined by the wikipedia limit.

So with that definition lim sup(n -> oo) {1/n} = {} (note: we use
a discrete metric on the rational numbers).

> Otherwise
> let L=lim(n-->oo)X_n be the specified wikipedia limit for
> X_n. If L exists then:
>
> lim(n-->oo)A_n = lim(n-->oo){X_n} = {L}
>
> otherwise lim(n-->oo)A_n = lim(n-->oo){X_n} does not exist.
> Under this definition lim(n-->oo){n}={N}

By what definition is it {N}? By what definition is:
lim(n -> oo) n = N?
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131