From: Wolodja Wentland on
On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 17:12 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
> image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
> and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
> capability, the USB key should be bootable.

It always helps to provide some information about the goal you want to
achieve ...

If you are trying to install Debian by booting from USB you can find
information about that in the install guide. [1] Just follow "The easy
way" and it should work. The files mentioned in that guide can be
retrieved at [2] or [3] if you need kmuto (i.e. stable ones with newer
kernels) images. Finding weekly/daily-builds is left as an excercise for
the reader ;)

If you actually want to do something else either follow some of the
advice already given in this thread or explain what you are trying to
achieve.

Have fun

Wolodja

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en
[2] http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/
[3] http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
--
.''`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :
From: Merciadri Luca on
Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 17:12 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

> It always helps to provide some information about the goal you want to
> achieve ...
>
> If you are trying to install Debian by booting from USB you can find
> information about that in the install guide. [1] Just follow "The easy
> way" and it should work. The files mentioned in that guide can be
> retrieved at [2] or [3] if you need kmuto (i.e. stable ones with newer
> kernels) images. Finding weekly/daily-builds is left as an excercise for
> the reader ;)
>
> If you actually want to do something else either follow some of the
> advice already given in this thread or explain what you are trying to
> achieve.
>
> Have fun
>
> Wolodja
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en
> [2] http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/
> [3] http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

Thanks. I should have mentioned that it was to install Debian. I found
what I wanted thanks to your links and the previous ones. Sorry for the
inconvenient, once again.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Love is like war, Easy to start, Hard to end, Impossible to forget.

From: Frank on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:12:13 +0200
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
> image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
> and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
> capability, the USB key should be bootable.

Try this link:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

--
-- Frank --

On 01/07/10 16:39, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 01/07/10 16:12, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
>> image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
>> and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
>> capability, the USB key should be bootable.
>>

> You don't say "WHY" you want to burn an .iso file onto a usb stick.

Live running, mainly. I have a System Rescue installation on one, and
it's also useful to be able run something like Knoppix or Ubuntu to help
work out how to drive some piece of hardware. I have a recent Knoppix
DVD in my toolbox, along with other useful discs, but a USB key fits in
the pocket.

Hence most of the distributions with Live variants, such as Knoppix and
Ubuntu, offer advice and utilities on their websites for burning to USB.

--
Joe

Nice. Thanks!

Frank wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
>> image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
>> and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
>> capability, the USB key should be bootable.
>>

> Try this link:
>
> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Only those who keep trying eventually win.