From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
capability, the USB key should be bootable.

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

From: Mauri on
Hi Luca,

there are some tutorial on internet. Ur BIOS must support the boot from USB,
but how u can burn the ISO on USB u can check this or other link:
http://www.google.it/search?q=debian+usb+boot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:it:official&client=firefox-a

Cheers,
Mauri

From: Thierry Chatelet on
On Thursday 01 July 2010 17:19:49 Mauri wrote:
> Hi Luca,
>
> there are some tutorial on internet. Ur BIOS must support the boot from
> USB, but how u can burn the ISO on USB u can check this or other link:
> http://www.google.it/search?q=debian+usb+boot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=or
> g.mozilla:it:official&client=firefox-a
>
> Cheers,
> Mauri

Hi Mauri

There are some tutorials on internet. Our BIOS must support the boot from
USB, but how you can burn the ISO on USB you can check this or other link:

On 01/07/10 16:12, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
> image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
> and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
> capability, the USB key should be bootable.

You don't say "WHY" you want to burn an .iso file onto a usb stick.

The debian installer recognises the .iso file and so if you are making a
debian install usb you set it up on a standard VFAT formated memory
stick (mostly the ones you buy are already formated like that) and just
copy the .iso image on to it.

If you are NOT doing that, it is possible to get at the raw files by (on
your hard drive) mounting the .iso image using the loop device using a
command something like

mount -o loop myisofile.iso /mnt

and then the contents of the file will be available in the /mnt
directory (as the directory hierarchy in the .iso image.

You just copy them to the usb stick.

If this iso image contains a kernel etc

then take a look at syslinux.

This enables you to boot a kernel from the vfat filesystem.

EIther boot a kernel image and its initrd from the installer (the initrd
image kicks the install process off), or in the second case boot the
image you find on the .iso filesystem

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Thanks.

Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 01/07/10 16:12, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
>> image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
>> and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
>> capability, the USB key should be bootable.
>>

> You don't say "WHY" you want to burn an .iso file onto a usb stick.
>
> The debian installer recognises the .iso file and so if you are making
> a debian install usb you set it up on a standard VFAT formated memory
> stick (mostly the ones you buy are already formated like that) and
> just copy the .iso image on to it.
>
> If you are NOT doing that, it is possible to get at the raw files by
> (on your hard drive) mounting the .iso image using the loop device
> using a command something like
>
> mount -o loop myisofile.iso /mnt
>
> and then the contents of the file will be available in the /mnt
> directory (as the directory hierarchy in the .iso image.
>
> You just copy them to the usb stick.
>
> If this iso image contains a kernel etc
>
> then take a look at syslinux.
>
> This enables you to boot a kernel from the vfat filesystem.
>
> EIther boot a kernel image and its initrd from the installer (the
> initrd image kicks the install process off), or in the second case
> boot the image you find on the .iso filesystem

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Every cloud has a silver lining.