From: Ron Johnson on
On 07/01/2010 11:55 AM, Joe wrote:
> On 01/07/10 16:39, Alan Chandler wrote:
>> On 01/07/10 16:12, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
>>> image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
>>> and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
>>> capability, the USB key should be bootable.
>>>

>> You don't say "WHY" you want to burn an .iso file onto a usb stick.
>>
> Live running, mainly. I have a System Rescue installation on one, and
> it's also useful to be able run something like Knoppix or Ubuntu to help
> work out how to drive some piece of hardware. I have a recent Knoppix
> DVD in my toolbox, along with other useful discs, but a USB key fits in
> the pocket.
>
> Hence most of the distributions with Live variants, such as Knoppix and
> Ubuntu, offer advice and utilities on their websites for burning to USB.

In that case, the question should be: how do I convert a Live CD to
a Live USB Stick?

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Jo, 01 iul 10, 17:55:05, Joe wrote:

> Hence most of the distributions with Live variants, such as Knoppix
> and Ubuntu, offer advice and utilities on their websites for burning
> to USB.

Debian as well ;)
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/USB

Regards,
Andrei
On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 05:12:13PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
> image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
> and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
> capability, the USB key should be bootable.

Unetbootin (installs ISOs to USB, using a Windows program)
Pendrive Linux (instructions for installing most distros to USB)
Debian Live (premade images for both CD and USB)

-Rob

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 22:16:36 -0400
Rob Owens <rowens(a)ptd.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 05:12:13PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
> > image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not
> > sure, and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective
> > BIOS capability, the USB key should be bootable.
> >
> Unetbootin (installs ISOs to USB, using a Windows program)
> Pendrive Linux (instructions for installing most distros to USB)
> Debian Live (premade images for both CD and USB)
>
> -Rob

something like this:
dd if=debian-live-sid-i386-standard.img of=$USBDRV

* taken from http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/USB

--
Best regards,

Chris