From: Stephen Powell on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:09:43 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:43:21 -0400 (EDT), Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-04-15 19:37, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to be filing a bug report against parted for (a) miscalculating
>>> the starting block of the implicit partition on an ldl (Linux Disk Layout)
>>> formatted disk on the s390 architecture when the block size is other than
>>> 4096, and (b) no support for CMS-formatted disks.
>>
>> If practical, I hope you file 2 bugs.
>
> I hear you. I'll have to look at the code to see if that's easily separated
> out. I started with the purpose of adding an enhancement to support CMS
> formatted disks. I stumbled across the bug in the starting block calculation
> for ldl formatted disks in the process. CMS formatted disks are handled
> *exactly* the same as ldl formatted disks if the disk is not reserved. I
> would have had to fix that bug anyway to add support for CMS disks, since
> I wanted the CMS support to be correct. The only wrinkle was correctly
> handling reserved CMS disks. To do that I had to access the reserved block
> offset in the CMS label, which prompted this thread.
>
> All of this is specific to the s390 architecture and has no bearing on i386,
> amd64, ia64, etc. I hope upstream (GNU, I believe) will accept the fix.
> I have no reason to believe that they won't.

It appears impractical to separate the enhancement from the fix, since the
former is dependent on the latter. I will open the bug report as a wishlist
enhancement request and provide the patches. If it is accepted, the LDL
bug will get fixed too as a fringe benefit.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

In <1876691691.55741.1271378240260.JavaMail.root(a)md01.wow.synacor.com>,
Stephen Powell wrote:
>I'm going to be filing a bug report against parted for (a) miscalculating
> the starting block of the implicit partition on an ldl (Linux Disk Layout)
> formatted disk on the s390 architecture when the block size is other than
> 4096, and (b) no support for CMS-formatted disks. I'm going to include my
> patch files for the fix in the bug report.

> Would you like to be in the
> credits?

That would be awesome!
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Stephen Powell on
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:13:36 -0400 (EDT), Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I'm going to be filing a bug report against parted for (a) miscalculating
>> the starting block of the implicit partition on an ldl (Linux Disk Layout)
>> formatted disk on the s390 architecture when the block size is other than
>> 4096, and (b) no support for CMS-formatted disks. I'm going to include my
>> patch files for the fix in the bug report.
>> Would you like to be in the
>> credits?
>
> That would be awesome!

Your name is in the changelog patch. Thanks again.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :