From: Mark on
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a new laptop like this one
http://www.thelinuxlaptop.com/viper-linux-laptop.php which uses a Dell
Wireless 1490 card a.k.a. bcm4310. I've used b43-fwcutter with great
results on older dell bcm43xx cards in Lenny but bcm4310 is not listed here
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_chip_types. I'm
also curious about the video card (intel graphics media accelerator x4500hd)
but that appears to be supported based on what I've read.

Does anyone have additional information or suggestions? Any help is
appreciated.

Thank you,
Mark
From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:42:33 -0700, Mark wrote:

> I'm considering purchasing a new laptop like this one
> http://www.thelinuxlaptop.com/viper-linux-laptop.php which uses a Dell
> Wireless 1490 card a.k.a. bcm4310. I've used b43-fwcutter with great
> results on older dell bcm43xx cards in Lenny but bcm4310 is not listed
> here
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_chip_types.

Some Broadcom cards not supported by b43 driver have support with
"ndiswrapper", you could check if your model is listed there :-?

> I'm also curious about the video card (intel graphics media accelerator
> x4500hd) but that appears to be supported based on what I've read.

Mmmm, for this I dunno. It seems to be using Intel G45 chipset. Google a
bit to check what people is saying.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

My 2 cents :)

I have a bcm4312, "cousin" of your wireless. b43 gave me a terribly
bad performance, and ndiswrapper works fine for me, however, you need
to blacklist ssb and b43 modules at boot (not neccessary anymore?)

I think your chip is also covered by wl.ko (official linux module,
non-free), it's under the packages names broadcom-sta *. You need to
build this one from the repos. I recall getting ndis and b43 to work on
lenny, can't remember if I also tried wl.ko on lenny (the one I use now
on squeeze and Archlinux).
The latter offers the best performance with my chipset (not pain-free,
though).

Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering purchasing a new laptop like this one
> http://www.thelinuxlaptop.com/viper-linux-laptop.php which uses a Dell
> Wireless 1490 card a.k.a. bcm4310. I've used b43-fwcutter with great
> results on older dell bcm43xx cards in Lenny but bcm4310 is not listed here
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_chip_types. I'm
> also curious about the video card (intel graphics media accelerator x4500hd)
> but that appears to be supported based on what I've read.
>
> Does anyone have additional information or suggestions? Any help is
> appreciated.

According to these messages, your card likely has an LP PHY:

http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2008-June/004219.html
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2008-June/004221.html

Recently, there's been a lot of work on the LP PHY, and at least some
cards have at least some support. I don't know about yours - I'd ask
on the b43 list (new home at infradead), if you care enough.

Celejar

>On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Some Broadcom cards not supported by b43 driver have support with
>"ndiswrapper", you could check if your model is listed there :-?
>
>Mmmm, for this I dunno. It seems to be using Intel G45 chipset. Google a
>bit to check what people is saying.

Thanks Camaleón, I'll look into that chipset a bit more. Want to avoid
ndiswrapper if possible; this laptop I'm looking at is built for Linux so
I'm not sure why it has a Broadcom wireless card.

>On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Omar Campagne <ocampagne(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I have a bcm4312, "cousin" of your wireless. b43 gave me a terribly
>bad performance, and ndiswrapper works fine for me, however, you need
>to blacklist ssb and b43 modules at boot (not neccessary anymore?)

Thanks Omar, another vote for ndiswrapper :(

>On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Celejar <celejar(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >According to these messages, your card likely has an LP PHY:

http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2008-June/004219.html
> http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2008-June/004221.html
> >
> >Recently, there's been a lot of work on the LP PHY, and at least some
> >cards have at least some support. I don't know about yours - I'd ask
> >on the b43 list (new home at infradead), if you care enough.

Interesting, thank you Celejar, I've looked at your links and will
investigate more. Since I haven't bought this laptop yet, I'm going to keep
searching for something as close to 100% Debian Lenny compatible
out-of-the-box as possible.

Mark