From: Hugo Vanwoerkom on
Hi,

Anybody install a recent motherboard that they are happy with?
I am due for an upgrade and there are too many choices.

Hugo

On 2010-04-13 15:53, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody install a recent motherboard that they are happy with?
> I am due for an upgrade and there are too many choices.

Come on, man... You should know the drill.

Specify:

o budget
o needed features
o preferred features

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Hugo Vanwoerkom put forth on 4/13/2010 3:53 PM:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody install a recent motherboard that they are happy with?
> I am due for an upgrade and there are too many choices.

It would help if you told us what the primary use of the machine will be.
Server or desktop? If desktop, heavy 3D apps?

Either way, avoid onboard RealTek ethernet as it's not currently supported
well by Debian. One might be able to make it work, but the process requires
some serious hoop jumping.

--
Stan

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-13 15:53, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anybody install a recent motherboard that they are happy with?
>> I am due for an upgrade and there are too many choices.
>>

> Come on, man... You should know the drill.
>
> Specify:
>
> o budget
> o needed features
> o preferred features

budget - any

needed features - desktop configuration, at least 2 PCI express slots -
ATX form factor

preferred features - runs with Debian

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:12:29 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:

>> Come on, man... You should know the drill.
>>
>> Specify:
>>
>> o budget
>> o needed features
>> o preferred features
>>

> budget - any

Nice!

> needed features - desktop configuration, at least 2 PCI express slots -
> ATX form factor
>
> preferred features - runs with Debian

Then I can recommend a SuperMicro C2SBX (Intel socket 775), which is the
latest board I had to install a Debian Lenny and is working fine.

Or you can also look at MSI, Gigabyte, Abit, Intel... or almost any
motherboard manufacturer that for sure will fit your "lax" requirements
>:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón