From: gvm on
thank you ... Greg

From: Ed Ferrero on
Hi Greg,

Let's try the failsafe way. This should help in understanding what is going
on behind the scenes.

Select an empty cell in your sheet.
Insert - Line Chart you should see an empty chart
Click the 'Select Data' button on the Chart Tools - Design ribbon
In the Chart data range box, select the cells containing 200 and 500 (i.e.
just the y values)
The 'Legend Entries (Series)' box shows 'Series1' and
the 'Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels' box shows 1, 2
Now click the Edit button under the 'Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels' box
In the selection box for 'Axis Label Range' select the cells that contain
the x values (23 and 87)
Click OK
Click OK

Now add axis titles.