From: Thomas Ferry on
On 04/30/2010 10:20 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Is there such a DVD app analogous to cdparanoia? Or is it not
> possible due to the differing data, WAV vs. MPEG?
>
> The issue is that I'm trying to read some 2-3 year old "movie" DVD-Rs
> and they're all at some point failing.

Im not 100% on this one. You can try to install some restircted codecs.
debian multimedia has all of em i think. Try installing libdvdcss2.

On 05/02/2010 10:58 PM, Thomas Ferry wrote:
> On 04/30/2010 10:20 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Is there such a DVD app analogous to cdparanoia? Or is it not possible
>> due to the differing data, WAV vs. MPEG?
>>
>> The issue is that I'm trying to read some 2-3 year old "movie" DVD-Rs
>> and they're all at some point failing.
>>
> Im not 100% on this one. You can try to install some restircted codecs.
> debian multimedia has all of em i think. Try installing libdvdcss2.

The need for codecs comes way after the issue of whether $USER can
mount a DVD.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> On 05/01/2010 04:50 AM, markus reichelt wrote:
> >* Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >>The issue is that I'm trying to read some 2-3 year old "movie"
> >>DVD-Rs and they're all at some point failing.
> >
> >Try another drive (best would be a dvd burner).
> >
> >Apart from that, you could try ddrescue and just plain copy the
> >whole disc to an iso imagefile.
>
> ddrescue or gddrescue?

Pizza Calzone ;-)

Did it work for you?

--
left blank, right bald
From: Ron Johnson on
On 05/06/2010 11:57 AM, markus reichelt wrote:
> * Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

>>> Try another drive (best would be a dvd burner).
>>>
>>> Apart from that, you could try ddrescue and just plain copy the
>>> whole disc to an iso imagefile.
>>
>> ddrescue or gddrescue?
>
> Pizza Calzone ;-)
>
> Did it work for you?