From: Ron Johnson on
Is there such a DVD app analogous to cdparanoia? Or is it not
possible due to the differing data, WAV vs. MPEG?

The issue is that I'm trying to read some 2-3 year old "movie"
DVD-Rs and they're all at some point failing.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 4/30/2010 9:20 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Is there such a DVD app analogous to cdparanoia? Or is it not possible
> due to the differing data, WAV vs. MPEG?
>
> The issue is that I'm trying to read some 2-3 year old "movie" DVD-Rs
> and they're all at some point failing.

I thought cdparanoia was DVDparanoia. I mean, for DVDs as well. Shows
you what I know...

Audio CDs cannot be guaranteed 100% faithfully copied, for annoying
reasons. Which is why ripping them used to be fraught with danger. And
why some CDs would ruin your speakers.[0] DVDs are just (encrypted)
video files. So, yeah, that's the reason. Not that it's not possible,
but that it's not necessary.

MAA

0. The Avatar DVDs are DRMed-up, too. I don't know how this works for
DVDs, but they won't play in Blu-Ray players, and not even in all DVD
players. Worse than pointless. Actually evil...

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 09:20:27PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Is there such a DVD app analogous to cdparanoia? Or is it not
> possible due to the differing data, WAV vs. MPEG?
>
> The issue is that I'm trying to read some 2-3 year old "movie" DVD-Rs
> and they're all at some point failing.

You could try dvdbackup. While it doesn't support reading a sector
multiple times (like cdparanoia does), it can at least skip single
blocks (--error=b) instead of aborting.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/
From: markus reichelt on
* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> The issue is that I'm trying to read some 2-3 year old "movie"
> DVD-Rs and they're all at some point failing.

Try another drive (best would be a dvd burner).

Apart from that, you could try ddrescue and just plain copy the whole
disc to an iso imagefile. Also, check out vobcopy, it's my fav
application to backup dvds.

hth
--
left blank, right bald
From: Ron Johnson on
On 05/01/2010 04:50 AM, markus reichelt wrote:
> * Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> The issue is that I'm trying to read some 2-3 year old "movie"
>> DVD-Rs and they're all at some point failing.
>
> Try another drive (best would be a dvd burner).
>
> Apart from that, you could try ddrescue and just plain copy the whole
> disc to an iso imagefile.

ddrescue or gddrescue?

> Also, check out vobcopy, it's my fav
> application to backup dvds.