From: Tixy on
On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 22:51 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Is there official live CDs?

Yesterday I saw "Debian Live squeeze alpha2" announced, see:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/07/msg00006.html

--
Tixy () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
/\ Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:57:53PM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Tzafrir:
>
> > Actually, a simple dd should work.
> No. Almost never works.

Worked forme, last time I tried (with a CD).

> > Could you please be more specific as to the version? Both Debian and
> > Ubuntu keep copies of older images.
>
> Well. I need exact sizes of the images of ubuntu - 8.10 and 9.04 .
> May, You know of such a storage on Inet - from the their releases site I did not get it - they
> write in Mb while I need bytes...

Sorry, my mistake. I was sure it was available at archive.deian.org . I
can't find it.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir(a)jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's

http://live.debian.net/

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:54:48PM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Clive:
>
> > You might want to read
> > http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm
> > - especially the section "Accurately Reading a CD Device".
>
> I have read an article on the tompic from ubuntu's site. Now I have
> another problem: n order to retrive iso from burned CD/DVDs I have to
> know their exact size, but I can not find them for old versions of
> Ubuntu (it is what I used to repair my OS). May, You know of such a
> storage on Inet - from the their releases site I did not get it - they
> write in Mb while I need bytes...

I'm confused. Please educate me. 1) Why do you need to know the *exact*
size of the iso? 2) do you not know how to convert Mb to bytes?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279
From: Rob Owens on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 08:29:18PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:51:13PM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> > Thank You for Your time and answer, Rob:
> >
> > > I saw you mentioned live cds as well. Debian has the tools to build
> > > your own live cd. The command line tool is live-helper, and there's a
> > > GUI called live-magic.
> >
> > Is there official live CDs?
>
> http://live.debian.net/

I've always had a hard time with the term "official" when it comes to
Debian. The live CDs at the above link are built by the Debian
package maintainer of the live-helper package. That's about as official
as you can get without a Debian release manager being in charge of it, I
guess.

-Rob