From: Sthu Deus on
Thank You for Your time and answer, Tzafrir:

> Worked forme, last time I tried (with a CD).

Try w/ other CDs.

> Sorry, my mistake. I was sure it was available at archive.deian.org .
> I can't find it.

The ubuntu CDs ?!

Thank You for Your time and answer, Robert:

> I'm confused. Please educate me. 1) Why do you need to know the
> *exact* size of the iso? 2) do you not know how to convert Mb to
> bytes?

1. I need to reap the iso image from the media - the same that was
burned - to check its sum latter. - Otherwise I will get wrong check
sum though the iso might be original. Therefore I need to know exact
quantity of bytes the iso occupies. On their site it is shown in
megabytes - that gives no info that I need. Probably, I have to find
the ubuntu's ftp archive w/ those iso-s.

2. I believe I do: 1 Mb = 1048576 bytes. Correct?

On Monday 26 July 2010 08:31:33 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Robert:
> > 2) do you not know how to convert Mb to
> > bytes?
>
> 2. I believe I do: 1 Mb = 1048576 bytes. Correct?

Not according to the relevant standards.

1Mb = 1 000 000 bits
1MB = 1 000 000 bytes
1Mib = 2 ^ 20 bits
1MiB = 2 ^ 20 bytes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_binary_prefixes
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Carl Johnson on
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> writes:

> On Monday 26 July 2010 08:31:33 Sthu Deus wrote:
>> Thank You for Your time and answer, Robert:
>> > 2) do you not know how to convert Mb to
>> > bytes?
>>
>> 2. I believe I do: 1 Mb = 1048576 bytes. Correct?
>
> Not according to the relevant standards.
>
> 1Mb = 1 000 000 bits
> 1MB = 1 000 000 bytes
> 1Mib = 2 ^ 20 bits
> 1MiB = 2 ^ 20 bytes
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_binary_prefixes
> http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
> http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

Its also now (at least Lenny) a part of standard linux man pages as
units(7).

--
Carl Johnson carlj(a)peak.org

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 08:31:33PM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Robert:
>
> > I'm confused. Please educate me. 1) Why do you need to know the
> > *exact* size of the iso? 2) do you not know how to convert Mb to
> > bytes?
>
> 1. I need to reap the iso image from the media - the same that was
> burned - to check its sum latter. - Otherwise I will get wrong check
> sum though the iso might be original. Therefore I need to know exact
> quantity of bytes the iso occupies. On their site it is shown in
> megabytes - that gives no info that I need.

If you know how to convert Mb to bytes, what is your problem?

> 2. I believe I do: 1 Mb = 1048576 bytes. Correct?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279