From: Mark on
>On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm considering purchasing a new laptop like this one
http://www.thelinuxlaptop.com/viper-linux-laptop.php>

Interesting, I've done a lot of comparing today and building a machine on
HP's website actually seems to get the most Debian-friendly hardware. Specs
are below; although not listed, the wireless card is believed to be an Intel
1000BGN since that's what the G71 series uses and this is a G71t.

Anyone on this list have experience with the HP G71t series? Any feedback
would help.

Thanks!
Mark
----------------
Processor-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache,
800MHz FSB)
Memory-FREE Upgrade to 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive-FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive from 320GB 7200RPM
SATA Hard Drive
Graphics car-Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with 5-in-1
integrated Digital Media Reader and HDMI
Display-17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen
Display (1600 x 900)
Primary optical drive-SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Personalization-FREE Upgrade to Webcam + Microphone
Networking-Wireless 802.11b/g/n Card
Keyboard-HP Color Matching Keyboard
Primary battery-6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Modem Port-No Modem
From: Norbert Zeh on
Mark [2010.04.13 1542 -0700]:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering purchasing a new laptop like this one
> http://www.thelinuxlaptop.com/viper-linux-laptop.php which uses a Dell
> Wireless 1490 card a.k.a. bcm4310. I've used b43-fwcutter with great
> results on older dell bcm43xx cards in Lenny but bcm4310 is not listed here
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_chip_types. I'm
> also curious about the video card (intel graphics media accelerator x4500hd)
> but that appears to be supported based on what I've read.

I don't know about this particular card, but I got a Dell 1505 (BCM
4323) to work with the Linux driver available from Broadcom (Google
Broadcom STA linux). This is not an open-source driver. Some part of
it is, another part is a binary blob, but it worked beautifully for me.

Cheers,
Norbert

Norbert Zeh [2010.04.15 1517 -0300]:
> Mark [2010.04.13 1542 -0700]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm considering purchasing a new laptop like this one
> > http://www.thelinuxlaptop.com/viper-linux-laptop.php which uses a Dell
> > Wireless 1490 card a.k.a. bcm4310. I've used b43-fwcutter with great
> > results on older dell bcm43xx cards in Lenny but bcm4310 is not listed here
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_chip_types. I'm
> > also curious about the video card (intel graphics media accelerator x4500hd)
> > but that appears to be supported based on what I've read.
> >
> I don't know about this particular card, but I got a Dell 1505 (BCM
> 4323) to work with the Linux driver available from Broadcom (Google
> Broadcom STA linux). This is not an open-source driver. Some part of
> it is, another part is a binary blob, but it worked beautifully for me.

A follow-up: The README of the Broadcom STA driver says that the
Dell 1490 is supported, but it says it's a bcm4311.

Cheers,
Norbert