From: RoseW on
Win7 Pro 64bit installed on its own drive and was labeled C. Everything
is fine. My Data files were on another drive (now named E)
XpPro 64bit was left intact on its own drive and there is a dual boot
startup. Actually, Win7 would not do its final bootup in the install
process unless this dual boot process was put in place.

I have not gone back to the Xppro system through this first week so I'm
now wondering what glitches to avoid when removing the contents of XpPro
on Drive D I had asked at the shop where it was installed and the answer
was to reformat the drive d.

Perhaps I do too much 'WHAT IF?" but I wonder what happens to that
initial start up screen for the choices of Win7 or Xp wouldn't there be
some edits done in the F8 setup screens?

Rose
From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Careful, formatting may be a very bad idea. Depending on how your physical
disks are laid out, you could make your machine unbootable. Even though
Windows 7 designates its system drive as "C:", that doesn't mean it's the
boot drive.

The way to fix this is to use the horrible MS command line utility, Bcdedit.
Or, be smarter and use one of the free graphical utilities that does the
same thing. I use EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1).

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: Dominic Payer on
If you did not change any BIOS settings your drive D is almost certainly
the boot drive, so formatting it will make your machine unbootable.

The Windows 7 drive can be made the boot drive in the BIOS, after
formatting D, by changing the BIOS boot order. You will then need to
boot from the Windows 7 DVD and select Repair your computer, then
Command prompt, and use the Bootrec command
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392. The commands you need to execute
are Bootrec /FixMbr and Bootrec /FixBoot.

From: RoseW on
Charles Russel MVP wrote

On 2009-11-04 1:57 PM, Dominic Payer wrote:
> If you did not change any BIOS settings your drive D is almost certainly
> the boot drive, so formatting it will make your machine unbootable.
>
> The Windows 7 drive can be made the boot drive in the BIOS, after
> formatting D, by changing the BIOS boot order. You will then need to
> boot from the Windows 7 DVD and select Repair your computer, then
> Command prompt, and use the Bootrec command
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392. The commands you need to execute
> are Bootrec /FixMbr and Bootrec /FixBoot.

Glad I asked here.
I had referred my computer store person to the EasyBCD utility which I
had found while doing research/prepare but perhaps I needed to be more
forceful rather than 'suggesting' <grin>
Bios settings were changed by the repair tech person but he was a bit
surprised when win7 wouldn't boot so he had to go back there and set up
the dual boot.
I'll take the advice and get the EasyBCD utility plus procede carefully.
If the whole scenario appears to be a minefield I can just lug the case
back to the shop and have a discussion <LOL!>
Rose

From: Dominic Payer on
EasyBCD will not help with changing the boot drive. It is very useful
when modifying boot settings on the boot drive.

The repair tech was on the right lines, but did not know the need to run
Bootrec to make the Windows 7 drive bootable after changing the primary
boot drive in the BIOS.