From: Camaleón on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:47:52 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 2010-04-15 15:38, Camaleón wrote: [snip]
>>
>> I always try to fill the RAM slots of the board at their maximum
>> capacity (at least 2 GiB.) so upgrading memory will be worth for it.
>>

> That's a bit garbled... Did you forget a word somewhere?

Quite possible X-)

Sorry, English is not my native language.

What I wanted to say is that I prefer choosing ram modules that match the
maximum capacity of every slot, so if a board allows me to put a total of
8 GiB of RAM I would prefer to buy 1 module of 2 GiB than 2 modules of 1
GiB because I can add more RAM later and still keeping the "old" 2 GiB
one.

I find putting as much RAM as you can afford from the beginning is always
the better approach.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Hugo Vanwoerkom put forth on 4/15/2010 3:09 PM:
> Hi,
>
> The Wiki on dual channel memory says:
>
> "The memory modules are installed into matching banks, which are usually
> color coded on the motherboard. These separate channels allow each
> memory module access to the memory controller, increasing throughput
> bandwidth."
>
> Does that mean that placing 2 1GB modules, each into a different colored
> slot, is faster than putting 1 2GB module into one slot and leaving the
> other 3 slots empty?

That's exactly what it means. Dual channel memory bus equals twice the
bandwidth of a single channel bus. Stick capacity is irrelevant in this
discussion, except that each dual channel pair should consist of identical
sticks.

--
Stan

Aioanei Rares put forth on 4/15/2010 3:16 PM:

> No, it means that 2 one-gig modules in same-coloured slots will
> theoretically work better. I have one module in a dual-channel mobo and
> it works ok. Most desktop/workstation mobos do.

No, that's not correct. If the mobo DIMM slots are colored, you put one
DIMM in each color slot for dual channel operation, not both DIMMs in the
same colored slots.

This is a very simple concept folks. If you have two sets of train tracks
you can move twice as many trains from point A to point B in a given amount
of time. Dual channel memory works on the same principal, doubling the
number of paths to/from memory.

Are you guys displaced Ubuntu users who landed on debian-user after a
tornado came through Kansas? ;)

--
Stan

On 04/15/2010 07:59 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Aioanei Rares put forth on 4/15/2010 3:16 PM:
>

>> No, it means that 2 one-gig modules in same-coloured slots will
>> theoretically work better. I have one module in a dual-channel mobo and
>> it works ok. Most desktop/workstation mobos do.
>>
> No, that's not correct. If the mobo DIMM slots are colored, you put one
> DIMM in each color slot for dual channel operation, not both DIMMs in the
> same colored slots.

I believe different manufactures follow different conventions. For some
it's the two in same-color slots, for others in different-color slots.
When in doubt, check the manual

--
Just don't create a file called -rf. :-)
-- Larry Wall in<11393(a)jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

On 04/16/2010 02:33 AM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On 04/15/2010 07:59 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Aioanei Rares put forth on 4/15/2010 3:16 PM:
>>
>>> No, it means that 2 one-gig modules in same-coloured slots will
>>> theoretically work better. I have one module in a dual-channel mobo and
>>> it works ok. Most desktop/workstation mobos do.
>> No, that's not correct. If the mobo DIMM slots are colored, you put one
>> DIMM in each color slot for dual channel operation, not both DIMMs in
>> the
>> same colored slots.
>
> I believe different manufactures follow different conventions. For
> some it's the two in same-color slots, for others in different-color
> slots. When in doubt, check the manual

One, I work with hardware everyday and I've assembled more computers
than I can count. Two, Stan, I find your remark pretty offensive,
really. Gigabyte, Asus, Intel mobos work by the principle 'same colour
== dual channel'. Please check your facts before trying to sound elitist.