From: DMP on
Dominic Payer wrote:

> The XP driver is 32-bit and would not work. You need signed 64-bit
> drivers for 64-bit Windows.
>
> You could set up XP in a virtual machine and run your printer from that
> but it would be a cumbersome arrangement. The required networking
> between the VM and W7 might be fragile if you wanted to use it as a
> networked printer. Transferring documents to the VM or a shared folder
> so you could then print them from the VM would be tedious if you had
> more than the occasional document to print.
>

> On 24/11/2009 12:36, DMP wrote:
>> Dominic Payer wrote:
>>> You would probably do best with a new printer.
>>>
>>> There is no Laserjet III driver in Windows 7. There was in Vista.
>>>
>>> The Action Laser 1500 does not have a USB interface, so there will be
>>> no compatible USB driver. Try installing on a parallel port.
>>>
>>> Does the motherboard have a header for a parallel and/or serial port?
>>> If so, you could add a port to one of your vacant slots and enable the
>>> header in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> There are PCI parallel and serial port cards.
>>>
>>> See
>>> http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Dot-Matrix/Epson-FX-80/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=3394.
>>>
>>> There are drivers included with Windows 7 which will run the printer
>>> in some LQ and FX emulations. You would need a parallel or serial port
>>> to do this.
>>>
>>> You could spend much time on this for poor or no result.
>>>

>> Dominic: Thanks for your answer. I kinda figured as much.
>>
>> Let me belabor this for a bit more.....what would happen if I got my
>> Windows XP disk and tried to setup the Action Laser printer with an XP
>> driver in 32-bit compatability mode?
>>
>> Appreciate your help.
>>
>> Diane

Dominic-Thanks to you and OP for answering.

I am going to look for a new printer.....disappointed but far more
practical.

Diane
From: Alan Morris [MSFT] on
Use the Windows Update button in Add Printer to list all the drivers
included in Vista.

I can only warn you that many USB to Parallel cables do not work with all
devices. The Action Laser is as you stated a workhorse and it really never
had many bells or whistles so I'd think many cables would work with it. I
can only recommend the Belkin F5U002, this works great on several HPs
including the 4L. The next route would be a PCI LPT card. I recommend a 1
port card since then you do not have to guess which port is one and two
after PnP adds the device.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team