From: DMP on
I think the answer is using my AL 1500 is a lost cause, but here goes.

I have this fancy new custom built PC with Win7- 64 bit HP and I love it
and the OS so far. What I didn't realize when I ordered the PC with the
Asus motherboard is that there's no parallel port. My 15 yr old Epson
Action Laser 1500 is my workhorse, but I haven't been able to trick
Windows into thinking it's an HP LaserJet III like some folks have been
able to do.

I got an LPT to USB cable and in hooking it up, Windows shows
Unidentified Printing Device, and "this device is working
properly"....right. I tell Windows that I am adding a local printer to
a virtual usb printer port, tell Windows it's an HP LaserJet III and it
won't accept the driver in the printer driver data base. What is does,
is rename one of my other HP printers. There's no Epson Action Laser
1500 driver that I could find in Win 7. The printer does emulate the HP
and the printer did not come with an install disk when I bought it.
Windows just figured it out and I plugged and played it

Is there any hope because I'm willing to do a bit more tweaking if
necessary, but printers are so cheap it might not be worth gritting my
teeth any further. Thanks.

Diane
From: Dominic Payer on
You would probably do best with a new printer.

There is no Laserjet III driver in Windows 7. There was in Vista.

The Action Laser 1500 does not have a USB interface, so there will be no
compatible USB driver. Try installing on a parallel port.

Does the motherboard have a header for a parallel and/or serial port? If
so, you could add a port to one of your vacant slots and enable the
header in the BIOS.

There are PCI parallel and serial port cards.

See
http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Dot-Matrix/Epson-FX-80/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=3394.
There are drivers included with Windows 7 which will run the printer in
some LQ and FX emulations. You would need a parallel or serial port to
do this.

You could spend much time on this for poor or no result.

From: DMP on
Dominic Payer wrote:
> You would probably do best with a new printer.
>
> There is no Laserjet III driver in Windows 7. There was in Vista.
>
> The Action Laser 1500 does not have a USB interface, so there will be no
> compatible USB driver. Try installing on a parallel port.
>
> Does the motherboard have a header for a parallel and/or serial port? If
> so, you could add a port to one of your vacant slots and enable the
> header in the BIOS.
>
> There are PCI parallel and serial port cards.
>
> See
> http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Dot-Matrix/Epson-FX-80/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=3394.
> There are drivers included with Windows 7 which will run the printer in
> some LQ and FX emulations. You would need a parallel or serial port to
> do this.
>
> You could spend much time on this for poor or no result.

Dominic: Thanks for your answer. I kinda figured as much.

Let me belabor this for a bit more.....what would happen if I got my
Windows XP disk and tried to setup the Action Laser printer with an XP
driver in 32-bit compatability mode?

Appreciate your help.

Diane

From: Dominic Payer on
The XP driver is 32-bit and would not work. You need signed 64-bit
drivers for 64-bit Windows.

You could set up XP in a virtual machine and run your printer from that
but it would be a cumbersome arrangement. The required networking
between the VM and W7 might be fragile if you wanted to use it as a
networked printer. Transferring documents to the VM or a shared folder
so you could then print them from the VM would be tedious if you had
more than the occasional document to print.

From: Bobby Johnson on
DMP wrote:

> Let me belabor this for a bit more.....what would happen if I got my
> Windows XP disk and tried to setup the Action Laser printer with an XP
> driver in 32-bit compatability mode?
>
> Appreciate your help.
>
> Diane

Are you sure there even is an XP driver disc? The Epson Support website
states the drivers in included in the installation files for Win 2000
which means XP probably had it too. Epson does state there was a driver
disc for Win 98.