From: John Navas on
Newtonian affair grows cold
By Rik Myslewski in San Francisco

As the iPad goes on sale in the UK (and eight other countries), I've
had my own "magical and revolutionary" Apple tablet for exactly 56
days. And I'm using it less and less each day.

My fading relationship with my iPad reminds me of a long-ago college
fling with a young lovely. High anticipation, fervent consummation,
growing familiarization, decreasing fascination, and the inevitable:
"No, hon, it's not you. It's me."

Which is the line you use even when you're pretty damn sure that it
is indeed her.

Full disclosure: I write this as a fervent fanboi who has used Macs
since literally the first day that the original Macintosh 128k became
available in 1984. I've partnered with and enjoyed PowerBooks,
Quadras, Performas, iMacs, Power Macs, MacBooks, Mac Pros, and
iPhones � even a Newton.

But of all of those Apple products, it's my whirlwind affair with the
Newton that most reminds me of my first 56 days with my iPad.

With the Newton, as with the iPad, I eagerly anticipated its release,
and bagged one as soon as I could. I took it on business trips for
note-taking and email, had no problems with its much-maligned
handwriting recognition, and even played the occasional game on it.

But after the first blush of novelty wore off, the Newton's flaws
asserted themselves: small display, unpocketable bulk, non-standard
file system, and so on. I found myself spending less and less time
with it, and soon returned to my previous partner, my trusty
PowerBook 170.

So it has been with the iPad. ...

MORE:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/28/ipad_love_affair_goes_sour/>:

--
Best regards,
John

If the iPhone is really so impressive,
why do iFans keep making excuses for it?
From: Davoud on
John Navas quoting Rik Myslewski:

> //Egotistical, gratuitous nonsense elided//

Who are these fanbois? I want the name(s) of the fanboi(s) who forced
Rik to buy an iPad. If he forced _himself_ to buy one sight-unseen then
he is a fool. I bought mine after trying someone else's for a day. The
more I use my iPad, the more I like it--especially on those excursions
where I don't require the kind of heavy-duty image processing or the
multi-gigagbyte astronomical databases that my MacBook Pro's provide.

Mr. Myslewski flatters himself to think that anyone cares whether he
likes the iPad.

E-bay will be his consolation.

> If the iPhone is really so impressive, why do iFans keep making excuses for it?

The iPhone, also, needs no excuses. You try it, you talk to others who
have one, you learn what it can do and what it can't do, you decide you
want it or you don't want it. I don't see that as being terribly
complicated. The iPhone has many capable competitors, something for
every taste and budget. That's pretty much the way I do most of my
shopping. Impulse buying can be very expensive, indeed.

Independent market analysts, i.e., those not affiliated with or hired
by Apple, Inc., credit the success of the iPhone and iPad to reports of
an overwhelmingly positive user experience, news of which is spread by
word of mouth--and not by so-called fanbois. "Non-standard file
system?" It is to laugh. The users who describe an overwhelmingly
positive experience are not aware that these devices _have_ a file
system. If they needed to be aware of that, these spectacularly
successful devices would not have failed miserably in the market.

It is true that millions have bought the iPad sight-unseen because they
have learned from experience that, if it comes from Apple, it will be
elegant and it will work right. The vast majority of these people (Mr.
Myslewski notwithstanding) have not been disappointed.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm