From: John A. Sullivan III on
On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 19:11 +0100, Johan Grönqvist wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III skrev:
> > Hello, all. We are in the process of switching from Ubuntu 8.0.4 to
> > Debian Lenny plus selected backports (e.g., OpenOffice, IceWeasel).
> > Since donig so, GnuCash (2.2.6-2) seg faults every time we try to open
> > an account.
>

> This sounds similar to the description
>

> ------------------
> Package: gnucash
> Version: 2.2.6-2
> Severity: important
>
> When I open GnuCash and try to open an account, GnuCash has a
> segmentation fault. This occurs irregardless of the account and
> whether I open it by double-clicking on it or by selecting it and
> pressing the Open button.
> -----------------
>

> at <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=520055> which I
> found by googling for <gnucash "error 6 in
> libgncmod-register-gnome.so">. Perhaps there is some information there
> that can help.
<snip>
Thanks. I had read some of the various bug reports that intimate the
problem is libglib2. Downgrading to an earlier version is not an option
as it breaks both OpenOffice and IceWeasel. I inferred from the bugs
that newer versions of GnuCash should work but

apt-get -t testing install gnucash

as well as unstable, squeeze, and sid, all report that I have the latest
gnucash. I'm not sure what to do next. Thanks again - John

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:42:04 -0400 (EDT), John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> I had read some of the various bug reports that intimate the
> problem is libglib2. Downgrading to an earlier version is not an option
> as it breaks both OpenOffice and IceWeasel. I inferred from the bugs
> that newer versions of GnuCash should work but
>
> apt-get -t testing install gnucash
>
> as well as unstable, squeeze, and sid, all report that I have the latest
> gnucash. I'm not sure what to do next. Thanks again - John

If you're running the stable version of gnucash, that is version 2.2.6-2.
testing and unstable both have version 2.2.9-4. There is nothing in
experimental or lenny-backports. One option would be to download the
source for version 2.2.9-4 and build your own package from source on
your stable system. Another alternative would be to install the testing
version of gnucash. Another alternative would be to install the whole
testing release. I can't guarantee that any of the alternatives will
fix the problem, of course. :-|

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:06:28PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 10:39 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 01:34:09PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > > Hello, all. We are in the process of switching from Ubuntu 8.0.4 to
> > > Debian Lenny plus selected backports (e.g., OpenOffice, IceWeasel).
> > > Since donig so, GnuCash (2.2.6-2) seg faults every time we try to open
> > > an account. Since these are our production financials, you can imagine
> > > this is quite a problem!
> > >
> > > The end of the gnucash trace file in debug mode shows:
> >
> > Can you please provide output generated by the crash when launching
> > gnucash from a terminal.
> Alas, there is nothing particularly helpful:
> jasiii(a)jasiii:~$ gnucash --debug
> gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure time.
>
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.13
> Segmentation fault

hmmm... okay, a couple of options.

1) run gnucash from the command line: gnucash --nofile
which will open an empty gnucash instance. If that doesn't crash, then
try opening your file from the file menu at that point. I suspect this
won't work though, that it will crash.

2) install version 2.2.9 from squeeze. this may be problematic as it
may bring in lots of gnome stuff you may not want. I haven't hacked on
gnucash in a while, so I can't say what the state of 2.2.6 was, but I
know there were a couple of problem releases for a bit there. It may
be one of them.

3) get on #gnucash on irc.gnome.org and ask there. The channel can be
pretty slow, so you'll have to lurk around for a while. Those guys can
probably figure it out, but be prepared to defend your reasons for not
moving up to 2.2.9, the current release.

4) build gnucash from source. This isn't as hard as you might
think. do apt-get build-dep gnucash and start there. you'll probably
want to use the --enable-opt-style-install to put it in a different
path to keep from mixing up with dpkg.

From: Richard Hector on
On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 13:34 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> Hello, all. We are in the process of switching from Ubuntu 8.0.4 to
> Debian Lenny plus selected backports (e.g., OpenOffice, IceWeasel).
> Since donig so, GnuCash (2.2.6-2) seg faults every time we try to open
> an account. Since these are our production financials, you can imagine
> this is quite a problem!

I can't help with the gnucash problem, but if you don't have a spare
computer, you could run ubuntu in virtualbox or similar to access your
accounts in the meantime ...

Richard

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 08:22 +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 13:34 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > Hello, all. We are in the process of switching from Ubuntu 8.0.4 to
> > Debian Lenny plus selected backports (e.g., OpenOffice, IceWeasel).
> > Since donig so, GnuCash (2.2.6-2) seg faults every time we try to open
> > an account. Since these are our production financials, you can imagine
> > this is quite a problem!
>
> I can't help with the gnucash problem, but if you don't have a spare
> computer, you could run ubuntu in virtualbox or similar to access your
> accounts in the meantime ...
>
> Richard

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Alas, this is an image which will
go out to hundreds of virtual desktops so we need something that will be
manageable, sustainable, and as standard as possible - John