From: Harishankar on
I'm using HPLIP /CUPS with the hpcups driver to print using my hp psc
1315 printer.

Has anybody had the issue that during a print job it is impossible to ask
the printer to use both the B&W and colour cartridge at the same time? I
mean, if you select Normal Color it prints even black text using the
colour cartridge (giving a non-sharp brownish grey effect) and when I
select Normal Greyscale it is impossible to print in colour?

I had the same problem using HPIJS drivers as well but the HPCUPS haven't
solved the problem either?

Has anybody ever successfully printed a multi-coloured document with both
the B&W and colour cartridge used where black is printed using the B&W
cartridge and other colours printed using the colour cartridge like in
Windows?

This seems closely related to this bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+sour ... bug/235399

Seems nobody at HP have resolved the issue related to Linux printing or
am I doing something wrong?

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org)

On Friday 30 July 2010 09:29:44 Harishankar wrote:
> >> So your answer is basically "go buy a more expensive printer I don't
> >> need just to fix this problem."
> >
> > No, but "keep you informed *before* buying".
>
> Where was this information available then?

http://www.google.co.uk/linux?num=30&hl=en&q=linux+compatible+printers&btnG=Search&meta=

Lisi

On Friday 30 July 2010 10:09:14 Harishankar wrote:
> I appreciate HP products, but I feel these issues are not particularly on
> the top of your mind while shopping for a printer.

Perhaps they should be! They are certainly at the top of my mind when I buy
_any_ hardware that I intend to use with Linux. And printers and scanners
are so easy to check.

And I do the research myself - it is no good asking salesmen. "yer what?" is
the commonest response.

Lisi