From: Long Wind on
(sorry, this question isn't debian specific)
I have a P3/550, SECC2
I get its manual from Intel
It says max T junction is 80 C
The motherboard BIOS reports CPU temperature
but is the reported value equal to T junction?

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 01:56:29 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> (sorry, this question isn't debian specific) I have a P3/550, SECC2
> I get its manual from Intel
> It says max T junction is 80 C
> The motherboard BIOS reports CPU temperature but is the reported value
> equal to T junction?

Mmm... I have heard that some motherboard manufacturers read "T case"
value instead "T junction" and display that number in the BIOS ("CPU
Temp").

You can also take a look into "lm-sensors", a nice tool for that, and
compare values from both sources.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 27/07/10 06:56, Long Wind wrote:
> (sorry, this question isn't debian specific)
> I have a P3/550, SECC2
> I get its manual from Intel
> It says max T junction is 80 C
> The motherboard BIOS reports CPU temperature
> but is the reported value equal to T junction?

That doesn't sound right. A typical maximum junction temperature for
most semiconductors would be about 200C. 80C might be right for the
maximum temperature for the heatsink area on the CPU package, which in
those days would probably be the whole top of the case.

A junction temperature of 80C would imply a heatsink temperature of
about 20C-30C, which would be difficult to maintain, and probably no
more than about 10MHz clock speed. Doesn't sound like a P3.

--
Joe

Thanks to all those who reply!
According to the motherboard manual:

CPU temperature is monitored ... thru the CPU's internal thermal diode.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:45:19 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 01:56:29 -0400, Long Wind wrote:
>>
>>> (sorry, this question isn't debian specific) I have a P3/550, SECC2 I
>>> get its manual from Intel
>>> It says max T junction is 80 C
>>> The motherboard BIOS reports CPU temperature but is the reported value
>>> equal to T junction?
>>
>> Mmm... I have heard that some motherboard manufacturers read "T case"
>> value instead "T junction" and display that number in the BIOS ("CPU
>> Temp").
>>
>> You can also take a look into "lm-sensors", a nice tool for that, and
>> compare values from both sources.

> Thanks to all those who reply!
> According to the motherboard manual:
>
> CPU temperature is monitored ... thru the CPU's internal thermal diode.

Then, as per Intel docs, thermal diode reading gives you the "T junction"
value:

***
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/sb/cs-007589.htm

(2) The junction temperature (TJ) can be determined using the thermal
diode in the processor core. For more information, see the AP-905 Pentium
III Processor Thermal Design Guidelines (order # 245087).
***

THT

Greetings,

--