From: Merciadri Luca on
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> It's not because the printer makes the power unclean or otherwise interferes
> with the correct functioning of the UPS while mains is working. They
> recommend against connecting printers because printers draw a large amount of
> power, dramatically reducing the time the UPS can maintain power to the system
> if the mains fails.
Correct.
> Also, (1) I've never actually needed my printer during an
> outage
Generally, people don't. Only the minimum minimorum (strict minimum)
needs to be connected to the UPS' electrical outlets. Mine has two rows
of electrical outlets: one which is `only' secured, and the other which
is connected to the battery. The best idea is to not succumb to the
tentation of plugging every possible electrical device into the
battery-connected electrical outlets. But reasonable thoughts need to be
taken into account in this case. I saw people having the screen plugged
in the battery, but the main unit being plugged into the not-battery
row. This is complete nonsense, and a total lack of commonsense.
> and (2) printers generally don't suffer the same ill effects from
> sudden power loss that file systems do.

Sure. But scanners do.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Stan Hoeppner on
owens(a)netptc.net put forth on 4/29/2010 2:26 PM:

> Also I might have an issue with Stan's use of AND. While surge
> protection of printers is a good idea, most UPS vendors advise
> against connecting the printer to the UPS for power protection
> Larry

Most inkjets on a UPS are fine (for small jobs), lasers no--too much current
draw heating up the fuser. I've never printed during a power outage but I
could if I really needed to. The odds of that are terribly low though.

Them main reason for plugging all my equipment into the UPS is that the MOVs
in UPSes are usually much larger and of better quality than those found in
surge protector power strips. For those who do not know, an MOV or metal
oxide varistor, is the device that sucks up the excess voltage and current
that frequently enters lines during a lighting strike.

--
Stan