From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Thursday 29 April 2010 10:54:47 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:26:52 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > Is it worth spending $100 to
> > surge and power backup protect my $1000 PC and printer? For me that
> > answer is an emphatic yes.
>
> You make a strong case. But I come from a different perspective than
> you do. I don't have any new hardware at home. The only piece of
> equipment I bought new was a 4-port Ethernet router which cost me about
> $20, I think. Almost everything else was either given away or thrown
> away or sold used for a low price.
>
> Oh, wait. I did buy my powered speakers new -- about 15 years
> ago. ;-)

A UPS probably won't last that long (the battery isn't designed for that
AFAIK). However it is something that isn't replaced often, since power has
been fairly standard (V / Hz / Plug shape and polarity) for a while.

For those reasons and more, a working UPS is rather hard to find when
dumpster-diving.

Also, clean power should make your existing hardware last longer. That might
be a big plus since you may be the type that never disposes of working
hardware.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: owens on

Also I might have an issue with Stan's use of AND. While surge
protection of printers is a good idea, most UPS vendors advise
against connecting the printer to the UPS for power protection
Larry

owens(a)netptc.net wrote:

> [...]
Same point of view here. Once upon a time, I had some pretty expensive
computer hardware, and an overvoltage botched the motherboard and the
CPU. I had no UPS. I have an UPS for 3 or 4 years now, and everything is
pretty fine. Even if thunder sounds, I stay in front of the computer
without any harm to the hardware. But it has a cost. Everything is a
compromise. If your hardware is cheap, and that it is quite unlikely to
thunder around your house, I would suggest you not to buy an UPS,
especially if your revenues are low-income. If, on the other hand, your
hardware is expensive ([inclusive] or that you have low-income
revenues), you'd better buy an UPS. It really worths it.

But there is not only the thunder. Here, in Belgium, it sometimes
happens to have power outages, without any information before.
Consequently, if you have no UPS, everything is directly powered off,
and it is not an interesting thing for both your hardware and what you
are currently working on. With the other computer which gave up the
gost, I also lost some part of a report I was working for. No doubt I
was angry.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Thursday 29 April 2010 14:26:17 owens(a)netptc.net wrote:
> [...]

It's not because the printer makes the power unclean or otherwise interferes
with the correct functioning of the UPS while mains is working. They
recommend against connecting printers because printers draw a large amount of
power, dramatically reducing the time the UPS can maintain power to the system
if the mains fails. Also, (1) I've never actually needed my printer during an
outage and (2) printers generally don't suffer the same ill effects from
sudden power loss that file systems do.
From: Camaleón on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:48:03 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Thursday 29 April 2010 14:26:17 owens wrote:

>> Also I might have an issue with Stan's use of AND. While surge
>> protection of printers is a good idea, most UPS vendors advise against
>> connecting the printer to the UPS for power protection
>
> It's not because the printer makes the power unclean or otherwise
> interferes with the correct functioning of the UPS while mains is
> working. They recommend against connecting printers because printers
> draw a large amount of power, dramatically reducing the time the UPS can
> maintain power to the system if the mains fails. Also, (1) I've never
> actually needed my printer during an outage and (2) printers generally
> don't suffer the same ill effects from sudden power loss that file
> systems do.

He, he, he... Agree.

Someone tried to attach a mid-size laser printer to a UPS? (please, do
not)>:-)

I remember the days when I (innocently) "did so" and as soon as the
printer was powered on, the UPS unit (APC Smart 1000VA) was inmediatly
shutdown... and also all of the devices attached to it (the printer
loaded more power than the UPS could hold).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón