From: Brad Rogers on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 14:16:21 -0500
Kent West <westk(a)acu.edu> wrote:

Hello Kent,

> I know I've printed to this HP Color Laserjet CM3530 from a Debian box

Install 'hplip' for HP printers. When run for the first time, it'll
guide you through the setting up process.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

When I say ugly, I don't mean rough looking, I mean hideous
Ugly - The Stranglers
From: Stephen Powell on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 15:16:21 -0400 (EDT), Kent West wrote:

> Something I've never figured out with Debian is how to know which
> package to install to get a certain printer driver.
>
> I know I've printed to this HP Color Laserjet CM3530 from a Debian box
> before, but I have no idea what package I had installed to do so, nor
> what driver I chose (since I can't find the CM3530 listed in my
> web-based CUPS setup (localhost:631)).
>
> I'm unsure if I don't have the right package installed, or if I used a
> different driver in the past. Google and the Debian search engines are
> not helping me one whit.
>
> I've never really understood the relationship between printer drivers
> for general use and printer drivers for gutenprint (whatever that is),
> or the relationship between those and/or cup-driver-gutenprint and/or
> cupsys-driver-gutenprint (and the descriptions are less than helpful),
> so any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

What release of Debian are you using? Lenny? Squeeze? Sid?

I've experienced what you describe before, mainly because older releases
of Debian used the lpr/lpd printing setup, and I used apsfilter to
install printer drivers. Then when I switched to a newer release of
Debian that used CUPS, and foomatic did not have a driver for the printer,
especially for older or less popular printers.

http://www.linuxprinting.org and http://www.cups.org are good places
to start looking for documentation.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Monday 10 May 2010 14:16:21 Kent West wrote:
> Something I've never figured out with Debian is how to know which
> package to install to get a certain printer driver.

I suggest just installing all the packages listed from (aptitude search '-
ppds$').

This should catch more printers than most users need.

> I know I've printed to this HP Color Laserjet CM3530 from a Debian box
> before, but I have no idea what package I had installed to do so, nor
> what driver I chose (since I can't find the CM3530 listed in my
> web-based CUPS setup (localhost:631)).

For HP printers, I suggest using the hp-toolbox which can be found in the
hplip-gui package. If the cups web interface is more comfortable for you, the
printer drivers provided by hplip (HP LInux Printing) project are in the
hpijs-ppds package.

> I've never really understood the relationship between printer drivers
> for general use and printer drivers for gutenprint (whatever that is),
> or the relationship between those and/or cup-driver-gutenprint and/or
> cupsys-driver-gutenprint (and the descriptions are less than helpful),
> so any help would be appreciated.

I'm not entirely clear here, either. I let aptitude pull in whatever
gutenprint packages it wants, but I don't know that I am using them directly.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Brad Rogers on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 15:36:41 -0500
Kent West <westk(a)acu.edu> wrote:

Hello Kent,

> I tried installing hpijs-ppds, but I still don't see the CM3530
> listed; I do now see a Color Laserjet 3550 (without the CM, and not
> the 3530), but who knows if that'd work? Not me.

In Testing, the CM3530 is listed. You might try pulling the hplip-data
package from there, or wait for it to migrate.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Buy some love at the five and dime
You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart - Eurythmics
From: Brad Rogers on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 21:59:56 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad(a)fineby.me.uk> wrote:

Hello Brad,

> hplip-data package from there, or wait for it to migrate.

Oops! It may also be in hpijs-ppds. I didn't check closely.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

I ain't got no time for intellectual music, e.g. Hergest Ridge
Alberto y Lost Trios Paranoias