From: Charly on
Hello World,

In the past I used the "Windows RAS" connection found in the Palm
TC/T3/T5 preferences, to connect my Palm to the Internet via my computer
and Softick PPP.

Today I'm configuring a Centro and wanted to test Internet software
(GoogleMap, Opera Mini, etc...) without using my wireless data plan, so
I reinstalled PPP on my computer and went to the Centro preferences...
and found nothing ! The "Windows RAS" option is not there anymore.

Anyone knows if it is possible to have this option again ? How ?
Software download ? manuel setup ?

Thanks for any advice

Charly

From: Harold Fuchs on

"Charly" <No.Email(a)No.Spam> wrote in message
> Hello World,
>
> In the past I used the "Windows RAS" connection found in the Palm TC/T3/T5
> preferences, to connect my Palm to the Internet via my computer and
> Softick PPP.
>
> Today I'm configuring a Centro and wanted to test Internet software
> (GoogleMap, Opera Mini, etc...) without using my wireless data plan, so I
> reinstalled PPP on my computer and went to the Centro preferences... and
> found nothing ! The "Windows RAS" option is not there anymore.
>
> Anyone knows if it is possible to have this option again ? How ? Software
> download ? manuel setup ?
>
> Thanks for any advice
>
> Charly

It's none of my business but would you mind explaining why you want to do
this? If you can connect your computer to the net, and if you can connect
your PDA to your computer, why on earth would you want to connect your PDA
to the net *via* your computer? Small screen, tiny keyboard, limited browser
capability, slower connection speed etc. etc. Why not just connect the
computer to the net, download whatever you need and then copy it to the PDA?
I'm not trying to be rude; I really don't understand.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

From: Mark Olson on
Harold Fuchs wrote:

> "Charly" <No.Email(a)No.Spam> wrote in message

>> In the past I used the "Windows RAS" connection found in the Palm
>> TC/T3/T5 preferences, to connect my Palm to the Internet via my
>> computer and Softick PPP.
>>
>> Today I'm configuring a Centro and wanted to test Internet software
>> (GoogleMap, Opera Mini, etc...) without using my wireless data plan,
>> so I reinstalled PPP on my computer and went to the Centro
>> preferences... and found nothing ! The "Windows RAS" option is not
>> there anymore.
>>
>> Anyone knows if it is possible to have this option again ? How ?
>> Software download ? manuel setup ?

> It's none of my business but would you mind explaining why you want to
> do this? If you can connect your computer to the net, and if you can
> connect your PDA to your computer, why on earth would you want to
> connect your PDA to the net *via* your computer? Small screen, tiny
> keyboard, limited browser capability, slower connection speed etc. etc.
> Why not just connect the computer to the net, download whatever you need
> and then copy it to the PDA? I'm not trying to be rude; I really don't
> understand.

I can't answer for Charly, only for myself, but I find it quite convenient
to be able to get on the net on my Palm T|X when I wake up in the middle of
the night and want to find something out quick without getting up and
sitting down at a computer. I can reach over to the nightstand, fire up
the Palm and be reading my gmail before I could even get to the computer.

From: Harold Fuchs on

"Mark Olson" <olsonm(a)tiny.invalid> wrote in message
> Harold Fuchs wrote:
>>
>> "Charly" <No.Email(a)No.Spam> wrote in message
>
>>> In the past I used the "Windows RAS" connection found in the Palm
>>> TC/T3/T5 preferences, to connect my Palm to the Internet via my computer
>>> and Softick PPP.
>>>
>>> Today I'm configuring a Centro and wanted to test Internet software
>>> (GoogleMap, Opera Mini, etc...) without using my wireless data plan, so
>>> I reinstalled PPP on my computer and went to the Centro preferences...
>>> and found nothing ! The "Windows RAS" option is not there anymore.
>>>
>>> Anyone knows if it is possible to have this option again ? How ?
>>> Software download ? manuel setup ?
>
>> It's none of my business but would you mind explaining why you want to do
>> this? If you can connect your computer to the net, and if you can connect
>> your PDA to your computer, why on earth would you want to connect your
>> PDA to the net *via* your computer? Small screen, tiny keyboard, limited
>> browser capability, slower connection speed etc. etc. Why not just
>> connect the computer to the net, download whatever you need and then copy
>> it to the PDA? I'm not trying to be rude; I really don't understand.
>
> I can't answer for Charly, only for myself, but I find it quite convenient
> to be able to get on the net on my Palm T|X when I wake up in the middle
> of
> the night and want to find something out quick without getting up and
> sitting down at a computer. I can reach over to the nightstand, fire up
> the Palm and be reading my gmail before I could even get to the computer.

Hmm. OK, that sounds reasonable. I always switch my computer off at night
Or I could use Wi-Fi (iPod Touch) via my router, which stays on at night but
doesn't rely on the computer itself.

From: Mark Olson on
Harold Fuchs wrote:

> "Mark Olson" <olsonm(a)tiny.invalid> wrote in message
>> Harold Fuchs wrote:
>>>
>>> "Charly" <No.Email(a)No.Spam> wrote in message

>>> It's none of my business but would you mind explaining why you want
>>> to do this? If you can connect your computer to the net, and if you
>>> can connect your PDA to your computer, why on earth would you want to
>>> connect your PDA to the net *via* your computer? Small screen, tiny
>>> keyboard, limited browser capability, slower connection speed etc.
>>> etc. Why not just connect the computer to the net, download whatever
>>> you need and then copy it to the PDA? I'm not trying to be rude; I
>>> really don't understand.
>>
>> I can't answer for Charly, only for myself, but I find it quite
>> convenient
>> to be able to get on the net on my Palm T|X when I wake up in the
>> middle of
>> the night and want to find something out quick without getting up and
>> sitting down at a computer. I can reach over to the nightstand, fire up
>> the Palm and be reading my gmail before I could even get to the computer.
>>

> Hmm. OK, that sounds reasonable. I always switch my computer off at
> night ...
> Or I could use Wi-Fi (iPod Touch) via my router, which stays on at night
> but doesn't rely on the computer itself.

I use WiFi on my T|X at home, of course.

I was in a hotel once where I had WiFi on my laptop but not on the
Palm, since WiFi access wasn't free. So PPP via Bluetooth through
the laptop was the solution.