From: Stefan Monnier on
> I suppose I can classify this as an experiment case, whereas I will
> likely later on try out various (which may include Apache, Samba,
> whatever really, etc) Debian packages on the system. This time I plan
> to keep better track of what I have installed so that the packages can
> be purged easily when I am finished with the application.

So the intention is to get rid of some packages you've installed "for
experimentation purposes"?
In that case, you might want to ask for a list of packages which are not
marked as "auto-installed". This should only list the packages you've
exlicitly asked to install, so it should be a reasonably short list,
which you can then review manually to decide what to remove.

Sadly, I can't think off-hand of a command that will list the packages
that are installed and aren't marked "auto-installed".
Can anyone help?

Stefan

2010/3/20 Stefan Monnier <monnier(a)iro.umontreal.ca>

> > I suppose I can classify this as an experiment case, whereas I will
> > likely later on try out various (which may include Apache, Samba,
> > whatever really, etc) Debian packages on the system. This time I plan
> > to keep better track of what I have installed so that the packages can
> > be purged easily when I am finished with the application.
>
> So the intention is to get rid of some packages you've installed "for
> experimentation purposes"?
> In that case, you might want to ask for a list of packages which are not
> marked as "auto-installed". This should only list the packages you've
> exlicitly asked to install, so it should be a reasonably short list,
> which you can then review manually to decide what to remove.
>
> Sadly, I can't think off-hand of a command that will list the packages
> that are installed and aren't marked "auto-installed".
> Can anyone help?
>

> Stefan

# aptitude -F “%p” search ~i\!~M >> file.txt

-F "%p" - search by NAME of package

~i - only installed packages

!~M all those that are NOT auto-installed, i.e that are MANUALLY installed.

>> file.txt - send result to file.txt

Rogerio
From: Andrei Popescu on
On Fri,19.Mar.10, 17:28:20, Greg Madden wrote:

> I was refering to what Debian calls a 'base' intall and 'standard'. When you
> install Debian (net install) the base system is installed, then a reboot is done
> to install any 'tasksel' (gnome the default or alternate desktops) items. i
> think 'standard' packages are added if you allow aptitude to run after the first
> reboot without selecting any additional tasks. hope this makes sense.

Nitpick: the installer does not reboot until the installation is
finished, including any tasks installed with tasksel. Sarge was the last
release with "two stage" install.

Regards,
Andrei
On 23:37 Fri 19 Mar , Mike Viau wrote:
> > > My output with the suggestion above.
> > >

> > > debian:~# dpkg --dry-run --purge $(join -v2 <(awk '{if ($2=="install")
> > > print $1}' < debian-5.04-base-selections | sort) <(dpkg --get-selections |
> > > awk '{if ($2=="install") print $1}' | sort)) bash: command substitution:

I like your idea.
Would you post the file debian-5.04-base-selections or give us a reference?
Thanks,
Mitchell Laks