From: hadi motamedi on
>>telnet, as in the original responses. Google gives several example
scripts
With many thanks for your reply, I found very simple expect telnet examples
(like the case that I am dealing with) so I wrote for the same but it
doesn't work my case. Do you think it may come from the fact that the remote
node is VxWorks or maybe some mistake in my code?
From: Kevin Ross on
On 5/4/2010 10:01 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:
> >>telnet, as in the original responses. Google gives several example
> scripts
> With many thanks for your reply, I found very simple expect telnet
> examples (like the case that I am dealing with) so I wrote for the
> same but it doesn't work my case. Do you think it may come from the
> fact that the remote node is VxWorks or maybe some mistake in my code?

It doesn't matter what the remote system is, as long as it has telnet,
which I'm assuming it does, since that's what you originally asked
about. To be able to help, we would need to know the output you are
getting when you run it, and probably the contents of the expect script
that you are using (edit out any passwords).

> It doesn't matter what the remote system is, as long as it has telnet,
> which I'm assuming it does, since that's what you originally asked about.
> To be able to help, we would need to know the output you are getting when
> you run it, and probably the contents of the expect script that you are
> using (edit out any passwords).
>

> Please find below my simple expect telnet script :
/usr/bin/expect
>set name 172.16.17.160
>spawn telnet $name
>set cmd1 command1
>set cmd2 logout
>send "$cmd1"
>send "$cmd2"
>exit
When I try for this procedure , I just see loging in and loging out from the
telnet session . Actually , I need to have the output result of issuing
'command1' on the remote node to be captured on my local host . But when I
try manually , say telnet to it and issue the command , I see the output on
my screen . Please help me how to modify my simple code to have the desired
result?
Thank you
From: d.sastre.medina on
Hello,

If issuing the commands manually produces the desired output, you
could try autoexpect¹ and edit the output of running an autoexpect
session to your liking. There is a manual page too².

Hope it helps. Regards.

¹http://expect.nist.gov/example/autoexpect
²http://expect.nist.gov/example/autoexpect.man.html

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB
From: Kevin Ross on
Please find below my simple expect telnet script :
/usr/bin/expect
>set name 172.16.17.160
>spawn telnet $name
>set cmd1 command1
>set cmd2 logout
>send "$cmd1"
>send "$cmd2"
>exit
When I try for this procedure , I just see loging in and loging out from the
telnet session . Actually , I need to have the output result of issuing
'command1' on the remote node to be captured on my local host . But when I
try manually , say telnet to it and issue the command , I see the output on
my screen . Please help me how to modify my simple code to have the desired
result?
Thank you

It doesn't require a username or password?

I'm guessing it's sending the first command "command1" too soon, before the
command prompt appears, so the other end doesn't see it. It only sees the
logout command.

Try adding:

expect "% "

or whatever the command prompt is, such as "$ " or "# " before sending the
commands.